Harlem Roulette

Come meet the new guy!

POSTED: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Word Count → 352 ::

Some secrets were best kept close to the chest. It was not wise to play one's whole hand in any game -- and in many ways, Merik believed that his situation closely resembled one. The shipwreck, it was merely the beginning of a challenge designed by the Gods themselves. They wished to prove his worth. The terms were simple: if Merik could return to Thebes, the empire was rightfully his. He would earn it, rather than inherit it from an ailing father. Sure, it took some serious mental gymnastics to reach that point, but Merik accepted these divine terms. The same ambition that pushed him further than any prior emissary still burned in his chest. He would return to Thebes.

But that would be for another time. First, there were things to be done. What Merik felt most important was surrounding himself with those he could trust -- those who would aid him not for his wealth, but for his divine mission. Therefore, his birthright and status would have to remain a closely guarded secret. Among Sapient, other Luperci were not in short supply, so Merik made it his first order of business to get to know the locals.

How he was supposed to do that, he was not sure. He had never had to seek interaction before. It mostly came to him, but things were different now. Merik left his traveling cloak hanging from a hook in the room that he claimed for himself upstairs. The garments he wore were odd by western standards, but among his own, his garb was commonplace among the nobility. Most of his fur remained exposed, but he was covered where it counted. The fabric was colorful and bright, and beaded in turquoise and black. Clasped with gold. Valuable.

Down the stairs, he moved though an empty great hall and turned right into a hallway. There was a door and it was shut, but after fidgeting with the knob, Merik found that it was not locked. He then pushed the door open and found a dimly lit chamber with a bar running through the room's length.

Last edited by Merik on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sapient
Novus
Ryan
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm

saoirse
is minic a bhris beal duine a shron
/////////////////////////////////////////////

He was a glitzy sort, to be sure, appearance bespeaking of something exotic and foreign. He was angles and sand and a sternness - a terribly, terribly serious fellow.

She, for one, had been out and about, trying to keep on her feet, trying to stave off her ill discomforts, shed of her usual shawl and attempting to shake the vigor back into herself, and what better way than to better acquaint herself with such new and odd surroundings? And even moreso with the strange, strange denizens of Sapient?

By comparison to his stature and presented regal bearing, she was impish, tapered and contoured and perhaps a little crude. Gold eyes studied the stranger as he peered down that bar, before wringing the shake from her hands, straightening her posture before hailing him with a wave.

"T'ain't think I've seen ye before," she mused, her throat still aching and raw from the damned illness, getting up to settle down at the foot of that bar, perhaps a little too nervous to be approaching strangers without her older cousin about, her safety net to catch her whenever trouble struck her down. Her throat cleared, muzzle tipped downwards, as gold eyes slipped about, suddenly aware of her lack of backup, before piping back up.

"Are... ye new, too? M'name's Saoirse, jus' like, Sear-shaaah."

Her explanation was drawled on a carried note, followed by a swooping gesture of her hand, simulating the lilt of her voice. Lips curled, amicably enough, as she awaited on his response, gold eyes glued to the tawny sighthound.
Sapient
Novus
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 pm

Word Count → 258 ::

Before long, Merik was met with another pair of eyes staring directly at him. The room was sparse, but not empty -- and at its end stood a woman. Her face seemed small, and every angle ended in a sharp and defined point. He was unsure of the purity of her lineage, but she closely resembled a jackal in feature (which was something that he was far more familiar with than the average coyote), and yet, something he could not acutely place was different.

With a wave, she beckoned him forth from the door frame. The door swung shut behind him and the room suddenly felt darker. Merik took a seat beside the stranger and he angled himself so that he could look at her as he spoke, "I trust you don't expect me to ever be able to spell that." He smiled and then set about answering her question. "Yes. I arrived last night," he spoke with an affirming nod. So far, Merik had met only Nivosus, the surly leader of this community. Apart than him, Saoirse was the first civilized soul that he had met since the wreck of the Scarab. "I am Merik." A proper introduction carried far more power than the utterance of a simple name. Merik was firm, confident, and spoke with a commanding aura befitting of a man of great power.

"You are not from this place, yes?" he asked. By this place, he meant this foul continent. "Your accent is different than the others. Like mine -- but also not like mine."

Sapient
Novus
Ryan
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:04 pm

Alyx Wulf
  • Word Count: [_ _ _ _]
  • Date: April 3rd, 2017
  • Time: 10AM
  • Form: Optime
OOC Raxiis Lycan

Alyx had been leaning against the wall in an exceptionally dark corner of the bar long before Saoirse had entered the bar, and apparently he hadn't been noticed. Dark fur, a freshly washed and scrubbed jet-black hoody, and dark pants combined with the deep shadow covering the corner he had chosen, amongst other things, had conspired to hide him from sight. Which up until this point had suited him fine. He hadn't been in the mood to talk to anyone lately; the anniversary of his beloved sister's death was not a day he enjoyed very much. But the strangeness of the newcomer, and the evident discomfort of the female in the room compelled him. He watched the exchange that occurred, thinking to himself Great, just fucking great, apparently I'm not just useless at saving people, but now I'm invisible too. he pulled out a freshly rolled cannabis cigarette (courtesy of a local grower) and stuck it in his mouth. Shit, I'm gonna have to introduce myself to light my joint He inwardly sighed, resigning himself to a long drawn out conversation. And walked out of the shadow, hood raised, hands in his pockets. Pure silver necklace he had secretly kept hidden from everyone upon his admission to sapiant, hung around his neck. Even though he was in the light, the shadow seemed to cling to him, seemingly refusing to let go. He approached the bar, sat on a bar stool beside a candle, and holding the candle stick up to his face, lit his blunt. Having done so, he took a puff, and waited for the inevitable response of surprise or something similar.

Oh what you thought we was goin somewhere... sike!

Template by Kitty

OOC:
Sorry for not joining in sooner, had shit to do for school. If you two want me to bump back out, that's fine, just ignore my reply...
|^/

Alyx Wulf
Sapient
Sodalis
Raxiis Lycan
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:13 am

saoirse
is minic a bhris beal duine a shron
/////////////////////////////////////////////

That pointed fellow spoke oddly, words framed on his tongue with a manner of couth sharpness, concise and forward in all the right ways that made him very well spoken. An impish grin slid ear to ear at his decidedly welcoming and friendly demeanor, nigh immediately warming up to the sandy stranger as they made such simple small talk. Strength was best found in bonds, than walls. Impetuous youth slumped forward into a slouch as gold eyes studied that face with interest, deeply curious in that foreign lilt.

"Aye! 'M from Ireland, an' yerself?" Behind her, that bottlebrush tail swept in lackadaisical swings - rapid little gestures. Large ears were perked forward, body language telling of her interest and excitement at the prospect of friendship, before it melted and mended as some unforeseen apparition shifted from the corner of her eye, gripping at a candlestick with its talons to light that blunt.

Hark dipped back low into her white hair as her head wheeled about with enough force to pivot her body in slight, hackles prickling in slight, eyes large and bewildered. Nostrils twitched at the stench of the cigarette, only pulling forth a deep-rooted distress and suspicion, regarded so in the shallows of her gaze as she eyed the wordless stranger in a sudden and still silence.

Of course, it was Saoirse, and silence hardly lasted long. And, as Saoirse, responses were always polarized.

"Whatever t'at is, smells like t' arse-end of a bloated skunk havin' a wee bit a' bowel troubles," the young woman scolded lowly, unwilling to impart such overzealous kindness with her name as she had with her new 'bestie' Merik, subtly sidling towards the regal company.
Sapient
Novus
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Word Count → 223 :: You're good! But Merik is kind of a butt.

Ireland. Merik had seen it on his many maps, but like many places in Europe, he had never seen it with his own eyes. Though her homeland was distant from his own, it was comforting to know that he shared the company of another that was so far from the place of her birth. He wondered if she felt as displaced as he did. Was she planning her triumphant return as well? Or, was it the opposite? Was she here by choice and not fate? These were questions for another time.

"Thebes," replied Merik. After a beat, he then mused aloud, "I am far from home." Merik offered his new acquaintance a brief and friendly smile, but then his mood soured. From the other end of the room, Merik could hear the striking of a match. The pungent scent of cannabis was an assault on all of his senses. His gaze fell on the stranger in the corner and he could not help but sneer. As Saoirse innocently scolded the boy, Merik took a step forward.

"Child," he spoke as if the stranger were nothing more than a commoner. Merik would soon find that old habits die hard -- but it was how he was raised. He was of the lineage of Gods. "Conduct yourself with decency in my presence or be gone."

Sapient
Novus
Ryan
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 am

Alyx Wulf
  • Word Count: [326]
  • Date: April 21rst, 2017
  • Time: 10:52 am
  • Form: Optime
OOC Raxiis Lycan

Alyx had half expected an aggressive response. But he wasn’t in the mood to take shit from anyone, especially right now. So when the woman responded with an insult, he bristled, lowered his hood, rolled up his sleeves, and repositioned his hoodie. Showing off well muscled, yet still lean arms. His eyes grew angry, and slightly crazed, while his snout wrinkles in frustration. Even though he was still seated, he grew a few inches extra as he sat up straight. Fucking bitch, i’ll teach her Then his mind took a shift to a more passive turn. First of all, you shouldn’t insult a wolf who’s in a foul mood. You should both probably learn that, because it might not be me next time. He paused And I think mourning my sister qualifies as a fucking foul mood. Then the foreign dog got up in his grill. And alyx stood up, standing at his full height, he took a puff of his joint, and let the smoke drift out from between the teeth beneath his closed lips. I don’t want to fight today, it would dishonor my sister’s memory. And Novuses don’t tell other Novuses what to do, so if you want to say such things to someone of your same rank, your asking for a fight, next time you want to tell people what to do, get permission from the alphas first. He sat back down on the barstool and said Since you are new, and I don’t want to piss off new members, I will stop smoking He nodded towards Merik, then took off the necklace, and opened a secret door. He pulled out a folded up picture, that looked like it was painted by a skilled amatuer artist, of two very young wolves playing, with a luperci gardening in the background. Alyx sniffed, picked up a bottle labeled rum, and took a single swig.

Oh what you thought we was goin somewhere... sike!

Template by Kitty

OOC:
Yo, that was a rather unpleasant response, why is it that every time my character surprises people, their always pissed off at him?

Alyx Wulf
Sapient
Sodalis
Raxiis Lycan
Luperci

Sapient