A cabin in the woods

Fallen

POSTED: Thu May 18, 2017 3:57 pm

Optime | Gaspesia; noon (+481)

Let me know if you want me to change anything :3

Sorry for the horrible thread title Dx After doing like 5 starters, I'm running on empty for title ideas @____@

Birds and insects sang a mighty chorus in the mid-day sun. With the rains long behind them, the forest was teeming with life and movement once more. Green sprouted everywhere in the form of pine needles and new shoots and leaves. In the warm daylight, a soft, cool breeze gently filtered through the wood and played with the treetops overhead. It was a good day to be outdoors, an even better one for exploring.

Asura had been testing her limits more often lately. She was sure her parents and uncle knew about the further and further distances she traveled away from home, but, she wasn’t about to call any attention to it just yet. On the off chance they didn’t, the last thing she wanted was to be grounded to pack territory only. She wanted adventure, just like they had when they had been young!

On such a pretty day, the Sapien had taken her travels west of the pack, venturing out towards the Old Church Mountains. It was one of many areas that the teen had yet to sniff out and explore. Her excuse, when questioned by her father, had been that she wanted to go hunting for herbs—hence, why she’d taken her mother’s seal-skin satchel. It had been partially true, as the pack was in need of some, so, the rebellious child didn’t see any true wrongdoing with her white lie.

She’d been sure to take her knife as well, proudly sporting it in the new leg holster her uncle had had made for her. Other than that though, the girl was still pretty naked in appearance to her packmates. Asura didn’t mind it though. It just meant more freedom of switching forms if she so wanted to.

The silver wolfdog had gone out some ways, finding very few in the way of anything interesting. A few large deer herds, the scent of a large predator—a bear, maybe a cougar, she wasn’t sure; it was something she’d have to ask her folks about later—and a few abandoned hunting cabins in various states of decay. The one she was at that moment, being one of the few that she’d deemed “safe” to poke around in.

Her nostrils flared as she took in the old, moldy, dusty scent within the small, abandoned home. Cobwebs decorated the ceiling, most of the corners, and across many of the fixtures that hadn’t been scavenged by a passerby. Dead leaves and pine needles were scattered about the short porch and in the main room. Dust and dirt covered the floorboards and many of the surfaces within the abode.

Curious though, it appeared as if someone had been there recently. The teenager readjusted her satchel as she took another inquisitive sniff, trying to figure out who had been there last.

Asura Creo

Sapient
Sodalis
Songbird
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Word Count → 000 :: I have to lookup title ideas, I don't even have any

Fallen had left his map out on the table in the cabin, a forest having been recently added to it. The man himself wasn't in the cabin though he was still nearby. He had seated himself out back, the door open to help air out the cabin so he would have a place to remain for the night. The scenery was what had made him decide to retire early rather than to continue his exploration. Through the trees he had caught a spindly legged fawn drinking from a stream next to his mother. The scene called to him to memorialize it.

Between strokes of his charcoal pencil on vellum he heard the click of claws on wood. "If you are out to steal something, there is nothing worth stealing." At this a pine marten barked a reminder. "Nothing beside Acel but he is a pest." The French accented voice amended and the pine marten cried out again, clearly understanding the male's words. This was speaking from his experience of time in the trade markets. Knowledge wasn't valued as highly as shiny baubles. Some time he could fetch a decent price for his portraits, namely from those who had someone they wished to impress. But what he trafficked in wasn't what traders found to be worthwhile.

"There is food to be found if you are hungry. Just don't touch Acel's bone. He is very possessive of that ratty thing." A melodic laugh followed the snappish sounds of the pine marten scolding the man for calling his bone ratty. "There is a bit of pemmican and some hardtack. A skin of water too." The small list of long lasting food that the traveled with was listed off. "If you are feeling adventurous I have some absinthe and a bottle of chartreuse." He wasn't a heavy drinker but he didn't mind a taste every once in awhile.

This whole conversation was carried out from where Fallen remained seated outside. He continued to work on his landscape piece, having to glance between the deer and the paper upon which he was drawing.

Art by Kitty

Loners
Wolfdog

POSTED: Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 am

(+558)

Areas where dust had been moved and pawprints of where someone had walked stood out on the dark flooring. There was also a few other animal tracks, which, as she squatted down to observe them, were not of Luperci or canine make. Small, hand-like prints. It had to be a weasel or something. She hadn’t seen a lot of them, but, her lessons with her Uncle and father on tracking made the unique prints more recognizable than they would have been without their teachings.

She continued her search about the cabin, finding a detailed map spread out across the table. Unlike almost everything else in the abandoned home, it didn’t have signs of age to it, nor did it have a film of dust coating it. Asura had reached out to touch the parchment when a voice suddenly carried in from outside. Her hand came to an abrupt halt and her entire body went rigid in her surprise.

Even though she’d been looking for someone, she hadn’t actually expected someone to be there!

The voice—masculine and with a strange accent—carried into the cabin from outside. Out back, she realized, as she suddenly spotted that the door was open back there. Her steps were light and careful as she made her way towards the opening. There was a strange bark of some sort of animal, and it appeared that it was outside with whoever had spoken to her.

Asura intertwined her hands behind her back as she peaked outside, finding the owner of the voice sitting out there with. He was older than she, and had rich, red hues that reminded her of Tierney and her family. For a man that knew there was a stranger nearby, he was awfully calm about it. He even offered her things—only two of which she knew what they were though.

“Not stealing, sir,” she replied, her glacier eyes looking over the man curiously as he continued to work on something. “I was just exploring and found…” She looked back at the building that she’d just left, suddenly unsure if it was his actual house or if it had just been a place he’d chosen to spend the night in. “…uh, your cabin here. It’s one of the few I’ve come across that didn’t look like it would fall into itself at the slightest sneeze.”

The male had seemed friendly enough, even if he talked funny and was surprisingly uncaring—outwardly at least—that some random stranger had been snooping around the place. “I don’t think I’ve ever met someone that would offer someone their stuff without knowing them first,” she commented, her tone surprised and amused rather than criticizing. Daringly, Asura took a few more steps towards the seated man, her eyes drawn over the parchment in his hands. The drawing was in black and white, and, as she recognized the shapes, her eyes flew up to where he had been looking.

Sure enough, there was a doe and her offspring standing in the distance. Both stood stock still, their large, dark eyes watching them carefully. Asura mirrored them, not wanting to frighten them away by moving any more. Looking back down at the man’s drawing, she complimented in a softer voice. “You’re really good.”

Asura Creo

Sapient
Sodalis
Songbird
Luperci

POSTED: Mon May 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Word Count → 000 :: Name is pronounced like Fay- lin

"That was the reason I picked it myself." Fallen agreed with the assessment of the building with a laugh. "That and it being dry inside." Just a single drop of water could entirely ruin one of his maps. This was a lesson that he had learned the hard way. He had just been glad that it hadn't been his mentor's map that he had lost but simply one of his own creation, one that hadn't been too difficult to recreate. And since that time he had chosen where he worked on his maps much more carefully.

"If I offer it to you then you cannot take it." Which sounded like an odd thing to say. But over his lengthy travels he had learned that if you were to offer someone than they were less likely to want to try and take it. And if intentions had been pure in the first place then the offer was often appreciated. Of course that wasn't to say that such was the only outcome ever. He just found that he had been less likely to run into trouble when he was upfront about his possessions.

The man looked up to the young woman when his work was complimented. "It has put food on the table from time to time." He said as he smoothed a bandaged wrapped finger across a line in order to purposefully smudge it. "Watch out for Acel there." He said as the pine marten returned inside of the building in order to go and check on his bone to see that it hadn't been tampered with. "I'm Fallen and you are?"

Art by Kitty

Loners
Wolfdog

POSTED: Wed May 24, 2017 12:57 pm

(+449)

She chuckled a bit at his comment about one of the qualities for choosing the cabin was because it was dry. “Whoever built it must have known what they were doing. After all of the rain we just had, I’m surprised that anything was left dry.” Back at home, the Estate had held up well enough, but, then again, it had been constructed out of a sturdier material than the meek little cabin here. With the dilapidated state many of the cabins she had come across thus far had been, she hadn’t considered the one this gentleman had chosen to be anything but “lucky.”

To his reasoning for why he had offered her things right off the bat, she hummed with thoughtful amusement. It was true, and the words had a sort of wise, philosophical sound to them. “Huh, I never thought of it that way,” she mused, mentally storing the sentence away for a time she could use it and hopefully sound as wise and cool as the older male before her had.

Recalling all that he had named off, the teen asked, “What was most of that stuff anyways?” Pemmican, hardtack, absinthe, she had never heard of those before. She was familiar with waterskins, and chartreuse, when combined with “bottle,” sounded an awful lot like some sort of fancy alcoholic drink.

He looked up at her when she complimented him, and she offered him a friendly smile. The stranger was an interesting one, and he seemed pretty…well, she wasn’t sure what to call it. Knowledgeable? Wise? Cultured? He was different from any Luperci she had known in Midnight Shores or Sapient.

Asura stepped further out of the doorway as the weasel-like creature skittered by, and strode—slowly—closer to the red-furred Luperci as he introduced himself. “Asura,” she offered, “Member of Sapient to the east of here.” She thumbed in the direction from which she had come.

The introduction out of the way, her thoughts jumped back to what they had been discussing previously. “Luperci really trade for stuff like that though?” Her brows rose in surprise, but, upon realizing how insulting it might be interpreted, they furrowed in worry. Hastily, she added, “I mean…well, I’ve never seen anyone trade for art before. Mostly, it’s just for food and herbs and things like clothes and weapons.”

She squatted down to his level so their conversation wouldn’t be so awkward. “How’d you learn to draw like that, anyway? And, oh! What else can you do? Are you from around here?” Her curiosity had always gotten the best of her, and it was obvious in her excited tone.

Asura Creo

Sapient
Sodalis
Songbird
Luperci

Northern Tides