Questions

Thyri!

POSTED: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Cammen Whitestrider

Cammen caught the smell of other canines on the wind, and while his common sense cautioned him to stay far away, a childlike curiosity drew him nearer. He remained mindful of the borders, of course - he didn't dare wander too close. But the scent was strong from where he sat beside the lake.

In all his life Cam had never known anything other than the company of his mother and her select few friends. Pack life was not something his mother ever considered to be a possibility for them - she was a free spirit, always moving and always looking for the next adventure. Life was hard as a nomad - they often went hungry. But his mother was happy, and to see her happy made Cammen happy.

The wolfdog eyed the land across the lake as a man eyes a beautiful woman, and he tossed a round stone into the water. Packs were mysterious, and by default, alluring. While he wasn't sure he could ever bring himself to join one, he did want to know what they were all about.

OOC: At the edge of Grand Lake.

Cammen Whitestrider

POSTED: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 pm

OOC: Thank you for starting!

With measured, precise steps Thyri crept nearer the man looking out at the lake. She had her large Dane axe held between her hands, knuckles like a miniature mountain ranges jutting upwards, and held the sight of him with eyes as intense as a storm-tossed sea.

The morning's patrol had been uneventful and her training had felt particularly encouraging, putting the yearling in as pleasant a mood as the day was fair. So far, it felt like an auspicious day so she grabbed the leather rucksack she often brought with her when she foraged and set out around Grand Lake in search of plants Finch had instructed her to become familiar with for a fall harvest.

It was always an odd phenomenon to the yearling whenever the sight of something odd alerted her to its presence before the smell of it did. Today had been no different. Her eyes almost seemed drawn to the russet crown of his head as though it were a beacon, welcoming her nearer to investigate. But Thyri held steady, choosing to watch him carefully before approaching him.

He was a comfortable distance from Vinátta, it was true, but as Araedi it was still the young woman's duty to investigate. And considering what had happened to New Dawn; considering what was currently happening between the Court and the coyotes... A shiver of excitement coursed through her body and left her finger tips tingly. She would do everything she could and interrogate any suspicious figure necessary to ensure the continued safety of her pack. Even if that suspicious figure didn't look particularly threatening or unusual.

Or even really all that suspicious, actually...

"Hey," she called out to him at last when she stopped, trying to hide her caution behind a more diplomatic tone. It didn't sound convincing to her so she tried a lighter approach to her curiosity: "Are you enjoying the scene?"

[WC: 316]
Don't leave this world to me

Cour des Miracles
Chevalier
Mandi
 Izrian: Sisters in Arms
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Cammen Whitestrider

Cammen recalled something his mother had said about packs when he was just a pup, something that had stuck with him ever since purely because he struggled with the truth of it: "Packs are for creatures incapable of living without help." It seemed a little harsh - he'd met a pack canine or two in his lifetime and they had seemed plenty capable of making a life for themselves. Cammen often entertained the notion that living in a pack would be like a sigh of relief - he wouldn't have to worry about when he would eat next or if he would be warm enough during the night. But it seemed his mother had a chip on her shoulder. What would she think, he wondered, if he were to join one someday?

He shook the thoughts from his mind and then stood, turning on his heel to leave the lake and what lie beyond it behind. But the sound of another stopped him, and he peered over his shoulder at the fair young woman padding his way.

"Hey! Are you enjoying the scene?"

Cammen turned again to face the female and studied her. She seemed caught between a position of authority and a gentler nature rooted within her, and it confused the man. Warily, he stepped closer.

"It's beautiful, yes," he uttered. "Been a while since I've spent time beside a lake."

Her scent gripped him then - she was from the pack beyond the water. He seemed to perk up then, his demeanor becoming far more curious as his tail fell into a gentle sway behind him. "You're one of them," he said, his eyes wide and childlike. "I mean, you...you come from over there."

OOC: No problem dear!

Cammen Whitestrider

POSTED: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:23 pm

OOC: haha, awww he's so adorbz <3

His words were true: Grand Lake was glorious this time of year. The azure sky reflected off the pristine surface of the water, giving it a backdrop of deep blue while the towering trees erupted the calm with bursts of amber and scarlet. Thyri glanced at the lake to take note of its beauty before flicking her eyes back upon him, allowing her head to bob sharply in agreement. She held her ground when he took a step nearer, the haft of her axe reassuring her. From what she could see, this stranger had no weapon to defend himself. He would be a fool to engage her in battle.

Please with this thought, Thyri relaxed and took note of his sudden curiosity. She watched him with narrowed eyes, unsure where he was going with his sudden revelation. "One of them?" she asked with some disdain, then glanced back across the lake again. "Oh, you mean Vinátta? Yeah, that's my pack across there." With a sweep of a free hand, she gestured across the Lake where her pack often gathered for pack meetings and announcements. Still, she wasn't certain why his eyes had become so very eager or why his demeanor had become so very inquisitive. "Are you... interested in joining or something?"

She said it hesitantly and with uncertainty, grasping at straws to try and understand his sudden perkiness. "My name is Thyri Dawnbringer, by the way. I'm an Araedi -- a warrior -- in Vinátta. What's yours?"

[WC: 246]

Cour des Miracles
Chevalier
Mandi
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:27 pm

Cammen Whitestrider

The female seemed suspcious, and, Cammen supposed, rightly so. Strangers were a thing to be wary of, something to question and investigate especially when they began to snoop. Cammen did not INTEND to snoop, but his curiosity often dropped him in the middle of places he was not always wecome. The she-wolf - Thyri, she divulged - emphasized her position as a warrior for her family, and the hybrid thought it best to explain himself.

"I apologize, Thyri the Warrior," he said with a playful little grin, "My name is Cammen. I don't make a habit of lurking around pack borders. I'm not looking to join, either, I just...um..." Cammen's brows pinched together as his gaze fell to the side, a single paw lifting to scratch at the back of his head. "I have never belonged to a pack before. My mother was...quite adamant we took care of ourselves. So, naturally, they fascinate me. You don't seem like a weak or prideful woman by any means, nor have any other pack creatures I've met. I can't understand what my mother found so repellant about the idea."

Cammen caught himself rambling and he flushed deeply, his ears falling against his copper head. "I'm sorry," he uttered, smiling sheepishly as his blue hues returned to Thyri's face. "I DO have a habit of...thinking aloud."

OOC: Hehe aw I'm glad you like him :D

Cammen Whitestrider

POSTED: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:51 pm

OOC: <33

For the yearling, the idea of being without a pack was the equivalent of being without family. Pack was more than protection and preservation, more than duty or power. Pack was camaraderie; it was love and support and guidance. Pack was family itself. She listened to the stranger's voice and as his words laced themselves uneasily around her mind, Thyri couldn't help the feeling of pity from rising to stroke her heart.

Frowning, her mouth downturned lopsidedly, the Dawnbringer considered his words with mild disdain. "Because there's nothing repellent in the idea," she replied, a little more strongly than she intended. Quickly, Thyri blew out a sigh and lowered her ears apologetically, shifting her pale gaze away for added emphasis. Passion. It was like a brilliant flare of scarlet rosettes blooming within her chest and she found it difficult to tame. Idly, she wondered if she could ever channel the diplomatic spirit her mother seemed to control.

Satisfied with her silent apology, she glanced back at Cammen and found her lips quirking upwards with amusement. "It's okay," she replied with a shrug. Now that he had explained himself, Thyri felt more at ease with him. And the more she watched his antics and listened to his casual voice, the more relaxed she felt. There didn't seem to be any threat here, not to herself and certainly not to Vinátta. And he was cute, she decided, when he was embarrassed.

"Don't you get lonely?" The idea of being without a pack was still foreign to her. She had met several loners at her Vinátta's borders since she began her training as an Araedi but never someone who wasn't looking to join a pack. She picked dried dirt nonchalantly from the butt of her axe. "I just can't imagine it. Have you always been by yourself?"

[WC: 304]

Cour des Miracles
Chevalier
Mandi
trouble is a friend

POSTED: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:12 am

Cammen Whitestrider

There was nothing repellant about a pack, Thyri insisted. So abruptly did she insist that it blindsided Cammen. His mother had a personality that encouraged very few to challenge her, and Marina had been so soft-spoken. This fire...this passion, indeed, was something the hybrid had not expected, nor was it something he was entirely used to dealing with. It was a challenge. It was puzzling...

It was exciting.

A grin crept across Cammen's muzzle as he cocked his head to the side, his eyes bright with a harmless kind of amusement as he watched Thyri silently apologize. "Perhaps you're right," he mused aloud. "Perhaps you have something to teach me."

The warrior brought attention to the feeling he did not often dwell on for fear of it overwhelming him. His grin faded and he cleared his throat, his brow pinched as he tossed his gaze to the ground. "It...does...get lonely, yes," he answered. "My mother raised me alone; we rarely stayed in one place for long. It was difficult at times, but we always found a way. My mate and I often discussed investigating pack life, but...she passed away before we could really...do anything more than discuss."

Cammen sucked in a small breath through his teeth and once again his eyes returned to Thyri. "You didn't come out here to watch me mope," he said with a feeble smile. "That's a nice axe. Are you off to train?"

OOC Here

Cammen Whitestrider

POSTED: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:28 pm

OOC: Sorry for the wait, hun! <3

She chanced a glimpse of the ginger-capped man after the silence stretched between them, having expected an argument or, in the very least, a rebuke. He was grinning. Thyri narrowed her eyes, curious. This was not a typical response to her contentious nature and it left her feeling mildly bewildered, and then deeply prideful when at last he offered a hint to the inner workings of his mind. ”I’ll prove to you that I’m right!” she said, as though accepting a challenge. Her eyes were bright and bold.

A twinge in her heart, like a string being plucked, commanded her attention then. She allowed her cheerful expression to falter, replacing it with focus and sympathy. Thyri was only just emerging into the world of adulthood and courtship; to try and empathize the loss of a mate was entirely impossible. In truth, she had never lost anyone in her life, not permanently, but she had seen grief and she recognized its grip.

In response, the young woman dropped her ears and looked upon Cammen with sadness. ”That’s terrible,” she said softly, reaching out to offer him a gentle touch. Above all else, physical contact felt like the best expression of sympathy Thyri knew to give. ”I’m sorry about your mate. I don’t think anyone should be alone.” Loneliness, without a pack or a friend or a mate, seemed worse than death.

With his next words, Thyri shrugged, showing she didn’t mind it if he wanted to mope. But already he had changed the trajectory of their conversation and she didn’t resist. ”Thanks,” she said, glancing down the haft of her axe to the blade. She smiled, a wide and toothy grin, and looked back up at Cammen with pride. ”Actually, I was collecting plants.” She patted the leather sack around her shoulder though it was empty. ”I’m learning to be an Apothecary in Vinátta. When you’re a part of a pack, everyone learns different skills that will help provide and care for one another,” she explained and grew quiet, thinking. ”Cammen, how do you stay safe by yourself? What if you got sick? Or hurt?”

[WC: 361]

Cour des Miracles
Chevalier
Mandi
trouble is a friend

Dead Topics