Ís ko,llum brú bræiða;

[AW: Stone Ship; Disablot]

POSTED: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

(318) Open to all, note that Disablot is a ceremony to honor women only.

The hunt for a cow had been undertaken, as Tink had said that Selma would be unable to be used for this purpose. The horned animal had been dragged back to Salsola for ceremonial purposes. What better place to hold a ceremony than at the Stone Ship? It reminded her of the Hearg and it was from there that she had learned the ritual that she was about to undertake. She had never led the procedure herself since she hadn't made it into the Volva caste but she had heard of it and the basics of it had been gone over with her when she had been in training to be a Volva.

Things were different here, in Salsola, and she needn't to be a Volva to honor the Goddesses. Still she felt that at least the Seer should be here but she was probably too busy with her child. Or there was the Crone but Stjarna couldn't bother him because Disablot was meant for women. Sure, men were allowed in attendance but they were honored in this ceremony as they were during a Blot. Because of that most men didn't choose to attend.

Stjarna sent up a howl to call all those who wished to attend. Maybe Tink would come because she at least knew of Freyja and knew that Stjarna was planning for a Disablot. Since the cow was to be sacrificed in offering to the fertility Goddesses the wolfdog had chosen to wash the cow. She felt it would be disrespectful to offer the cow up in her mud flecked state. Besides, it gave her something to do while waiting to see if anyone else would join her. She dipped a scrap of fur into a bowl of water and used that to clean off the cow. She would have used her soap had she known which fragrances that Freyja and Gerth liked the most.

Salsola
The Arbiter
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci Mate to Loki I FOUND THE BUNNIES

POSTED: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:05 pm

00+

See galleries for credit.

The mission to find cattle in the wild pasture beyond Salsola had been fruitful, and Katinka had been quick to work with the new cow to acclimate her to Marrgerd's animals. She suspected that the brindled animal was pregnant -- she was too round for a feral creature not to be with calf, she thought -- and wanted to ensure that she would be taken care of.

She had turned the animal out into one of the corrals, to keep an eye on her and make sure she had no illnesses that might affect the other livestock, when she heard Stjarna's howl. Of course, the Dísablót -- the entire purpose for Stjar's search had been to produce an animal suited for sacrifice. Picking up her skirts, she hurried toward the meeting place, wondering idly if she should have stopped to change into more proper attire than the dirtied clothing she wore for the hunt.

When she reached the scattered altar stones, she spotted Stjarna at work washing the cow, rubbing the mud from her fur. She hesitated then stepped closer, reaching out to stroke the animal's sweet face and smiling almost timidly.

Salsola
The Confidant
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 pm

(309) ooc here

Stjarna looked up as the cow lowed when she was being petted. This one is mine remember? You said I could have her. She said when she noticed Katinka petting the cow. You already got another one. You can't have this one too. Stjarna was determined to honor the Goddesses and so she wasn't about to give up this cow as well. She had already given away the brindled cow at Katinka's insistence and had hunted for another cow. She wasn't about to compromise yet again and give this one away as well. Besides, it was too late for her to go out and find another cow for the ceremony now.

Freyja and Gerth have to be honored. I can't forget about them this year too. She had already explained how she hadn't been able to perform Disablot the year before and so she was determined not to miss it this year as well. She had to wonder if her missing last year's ceremony was the cause for lacking in magic and being able to talk with the Gods. She couldn't blame anyone but herself on that one.

The wolfdog woman picked up an extra bit of cloth and handed it to the other woman. You can help wash her. She has to be all clean and smell good. She went back to scrubbing the cow clean. Maybe if we do really good then Freyja will grant favors. She hoped to distract the other woman from wanting the cow to wanting a favor from the Goddess instead. Of course Stjarna couldn't say for certain that such a thing would happen but it was something to hope for. What would you want? And you can't say another cow. Stjarna stated with a laugh. All cows are off limits. She stuck her tongue out at the other woman with the declaration.

Salsola
The Arbiter

POSTED: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:58 am

Stjarna chastised the younger wolfdog about petting the cow, until Katinka realized that a misunderstanding had occurred and retracted her hand, folding her arms under her breasts. “I know, Stjarna,” she insisted, her ears fanning back. “I’m just a little nervous.” She hadn’t been present when her family had needed to cull an old cow or aggressive bull; they’d spared her from these tasks. As a member of the Thistle Kingdom, however, Tink knew that she could not be so sensitive to sacrifice and necessity.

She did take the rag gladly and began to wash mud from the cow’s legs, her ears pricking as Stjarna mentioned Freyja granting favor. “She is a fertility goddess, right? But does wishing for the health of the unborn calves count as wishing for a cow?” she asked, and stuck her tongue back out at Stjarna in turn. Then she became more thoughtful, focused on rubbing the cloth into the cow’s fur and contemplating what she wanted in life.

“I want to be recognized,”
Katinka said after a few moments, quietly. “I want to bring wealth to Salsola from what I have to offer.”
Salsola
The Confidant
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 pm

(390) ooc here

Don't worry. I know how to do it quick. She had never had to perform the ceremony on her own before but she had paid witness to it. She'd heard her mother and sisters speak on what to do and how the ceremonies were performed. She had come from a family of Volva even though she had never been one herself. Because of her family's involvement she knew what each ceremony required even though she had always been a watcher rather than a participant.

Stjarna gave a nod of her head in order to confirm what the other woman had asked. Among other things. She has lots of influence. There were other roles the Freyja filled as well but it was for fertility that she was to be honored rather than her other attributes. The wolfdog woman frowned lightly at the question and paused in the cleansing of the cow. Maybe not because you already got them waiting to be born and not asking for your cows to be pregnant. But still, it is about a cow. Do you like anything other than cows? Not that Stjarna had anything against cows. She simply saw them as food rather than companions.

From cows? She wasn't certain if you could get wealth from cows or not. I recognize you. You have two names but your cow has one. Not that this was the sort of recognition that Katinka was talking about. But then it wasn't anything special to be recognized by Stjarna either, but it was saying something to have her remember a name rather than something descriptive.

She all clean now? Stjarna asked as she moved in a slow circle around the cow to check and make certain that there wasn't a single speck of dirt remaining anywhere. Once she was happy with the cow's appearance she dropped her cloth and picked up a sharp knife.

Freyja. Gerth. Hear our prayers. Bless and honor us as we bless and honor you. She stated before was quick with the knife, cutting through both the carotid and the jugular in one single and swift motion. The blood was collected in a bowl and Stjarna dipped her fingers into the bowl. Blood was then spread over brow, chest, and then stomach. May you be blessed with knowledge, love, and fertility from this day forth.

Salsola
The Arbiter

POSTED: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Reassured of the cow's quick death, Katinka exhaled softly and let her shoulders drop from their tense peaks. She did not like to cause undue suffering to any animal, even in the name of sacrifice such as this -- something she was familiar with only from stories.

Her lips twitched in a small smile as Stjarna pointed out that all Tink seemed to care about were cattle, and she supposed that this was true enough from an outsider's perspective. "I like other things," she said. "Working with my hands and body, pretty garments, other pretty things." She made a little show of looking Stjarna up and down, coy, though she wasn't sure if this flirtation would be noticed and didn't mind if it wasn't.

She managed a small laugh as Stjar misinterpreted her words, seeing this as a running thing with the small woman. "I want to be important in Salsola some day," she said, careful to keep her speech modest. "If I can trade the milk and cheese I make, I can gain wealth for myself and the pack. Right now I'm only a Confidant." She aspired to be more; she would not allow herself to be content with mediocrity if she knew she could do better. Her ambition was rooted in a desire to be her perfect self rather than for reasons of control over others, and it was a quiet sort of desire -- but strong.

She nodded and helped look over the cow to make sure that she was spotless, and fidgeted with the cloth, twisting it and watching as Stjarna picked up her knife. In a flick of her wrist the animal's throat was slit, and crimson blood poured -- so much blood. Katinka watched with wide eyes as the cow's knees buckled and the hot liquid collected into a bowl Stjar placed beneath the wound.

When Stjar began to rub the blood on herself, Tink murmured something in Swedish, then repeated the oath piously rather than as a shocked swear.
Salsola
The Confidant
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 pm

(309) ooc here

What are you looking for? I don't have anything pretty on me. The wolfdog woman glanced at herself as well, even though she knew that she wore nothing, to try and figure out what the other woman might be looking at. She saw nothing about herself that might be considered appealing. Perhaps the tail that Loki had given her could be said to have some bit of attraction to it. But still it wasn't what one would call a garment.

But you still have to leave milk for Selma's baby too. She reminded the woman again of her promise to leave milk for the baby to have. What did you name your new cow? She asked to make conversation while she finished up scrubbing down the cow. Stjarna made sure to really scrub at the spots on the cow, making certain that no dirt was hidden within the colored fur.

After Stjarna had marked herself with blood she sought to do the same to Tink as well, repeating the words once more. May you be blessed with knowledge, love, and fertility from this day forth. With each attribute she smeared a streak of blood upon the corresponding body part.

So I guess that's it then. She stated once she was done and stared into the mostly full bowl of blood. There was no one else about to give a blessing to so there was no more use for the blood but it also seemed such a waste to just pour it out. Do you make anything with this? She asked and held out the bowl. The wolfdog then looked to the slain cow. We could burn it or we could eat it. Either would be an acceptable option now that its purpose had been served. Just like with the blood she didn't want it all to go to waste.

Salsola
The Arbiter

Salsola