Hear the voices surround us, hear them screaming out

P. Elva | South of St. John's Chokehold

POSTED: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 pm

After days of nonstop work and nights of restless slumber, Milos woke feeling better. Not normal by any stretch of the word, but his muscles didn't ache so much and he could breathe out of his nose again. His appetite, too, had returned though he ate little so as not to end up sick later. Granted, there were other things that had remained static: his face still hurt and there was still a great deal of pressure in his eyes; his gait remained stiff and slow; there was also a great deal of post-nasal drip draining down the back of his throat, causing a rough and raspy quality to his voice that was not normal for him. But still, by and large, he felt better.

He hoped that this was a sign of things to come, that all their prayers to the River Goddess had been heard and finally answered. With any luck, the other Krokarans who had fallen ill would soon start to feel better and those cats and livestock who came down with the sickness, too, would begin to recover. Though hope had never left his heart, it shined a little brighter and felt a little warmer today. They would be okay, he thought. They would all be okay.

"Pa? Ya comin'?" Milos blinked and glanced into Logan's speckled, bearded face, feeling his thoughts trickle swiftly away. He nodded and smiled, crossed the distance that he had unintentionally created between where he was and where his son stood at the border. "A'course, 'Gun. Lead th' way." Logan watched his father another moment, concern on his young face, then lead them across the threshold and onto neutral ground.

Though there was plenty of carcasses from animals who had succumbed to the illness, Milos wasn't sure if it was safe to eat them and besides, Logan wanted more hunting practice. And, since he was feeling better, the Quartermaster agreed to take him out and give him some tips. So father and son trekked, noses twitching as they scented the air around them for prey.

OOC: I'm terribly sorry for this starter. D: Milos and Logan are both in Optime form and Logan has a spear but Milos is unarmed. c:

[WC — 349]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza Drover, Leatherworker, Tailor Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 am

Elva's fingers fiddled with the hem of the deep blue tunic. Brand new, it seemed, and free of holes or stains. How long will this last? She couldn't help but wonder, as she'd never owned new clothes before. Her old ones, burned in a fire, had been given to her worn and faded with holes dotting the hems. Elva, of course, had shown them no mercy and had left them in far worse wear than she had gotten them. But they hadn't been new. They hadn't lasted long. They hadn't felt heavy on her shoulders like this cloth had. This cloth would not tear so easily, she thought.

Her black cat lead the way, tail upright and stiff. Though they'd been wandering in circles for days now, Elva said nothing to the proud creature, knowing full well that it would do her no good to try. Had she wanted to, she could have lead them anywhere on the map, but as of now, Elva had no destination in mind. There was no where she wanted to go or be. With her belly full for once and her body adequately clothed, even the cat couldn't really have much to complain about.

Of course, that'd never stopped him before. "I don't know what your deal is. You've known me for how long now and you still trust their judgement over mine? Stupid, stupid girl." His ancient rumblings and moans had never affected Elva before and they weren't about to now. Rather than pay him any heed, she continued her exploration of her new attire. Frustrated the cat stopped to look at her, only to have her walk right past him.

Indignantly, he cried out, "What is the matter with you child? Pay attention to where you're going, for once, or you're going to get us both lost." At that she raised her head and turned to give him a blank stare. Her get them lost? As if he had the slightest idea of where they were or where they were going? Please. "That's better, now follow me, you ungrateful brat. I'll show you the way." For once, the girl couldn't help but chime in. "The way to where?"

Again, the cat stopped to look at her. "Is there something wrong with your head, girl? Did they put unnatural thoughts in your head while I was asleep? Remind me to never leave you alone with untrustworthies again." He licked his chest in an effort to compose himself. "We are going," his words were slow as if explaining to a child. "Wherever I say we're going. Make sense?" Elva rolled her eyes and turned back to her hem. Sighing, the cat decided to take that as acceptance and continued his journey. In the exact opposite direction.

Elva, recognizing instantly that they were just going back the way they came, chose to remain silent on the issue. She didn't really care where they went so long as they survived and he didn't try to convince people she was sick again. Head pointed down, she didn't notice when the cat paused to sniff before picking up the pace. Elva didn't change her own and allowed herself to wander lazily after him.

The cat, on a mission, had detected the scent of two of her kind and was determined to catch them before they left. Their smell was almost familiar to him, as if he'd smelled it before. The black feline decided he'd figure what that was all about later. For now, he just needed to catch up with them. When he caught sight of a tall black back in the distance, he called out in the loudest voice he could muster (which was indeed quite loud), "Oi! You! Yes, you, hold on a second. Let me catch up."
Krokar
Greenhorn
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 07, 2017 9:33 pm

There was a stillness in the spring air that felt a little eerie to Milos. A cacophony of sparrowsong surrounded them but still the wilderness seemed oddly different, changed. The illness had taken the lives of a great many animals, spreading throughout the territories quickly and without discrimination. Like a forest fire. Milos shook his pelt, dispelling the chill that threatened to prickle the fur at his neck. Logan glanced sidelong at his father, curious. "It's nothin'," he assured his son with his usual bright smile. "Just a chill's all."

From a distance, there came a sound — a call. Both Krokarans paused, their ears perking atop their heads. Milos swiveled an ear, picking up the voice from behind him. He turned and Logan followed suit. Two pairs of orange eyes looked back at the owner of the voice: a cat the color of tar. "Does he mean us, Pa?" Logan asked, glancing up at his father. "Seems so." The liver-ticked youth returned to looking at the cat again. "He don't look familiar to me. Ya know him?" Milos hesitated, then shook his head. "Don't reckon I do."

When his eyes caught sight of the canine garbed in the blue tunic, the Quartermaster made up his mind to approach them. "Stay close t' me'n let me talk," he instructed his son as he lead him towards he pair. Lifting his good arm, Milos gave them a friendly wave. His smile touched his eyes. "Hey there," he said, glancing from the canine to the cat. "Name's Milos'n this's my son, Logan. We're from Krokar, just there." He gestured towards the borders, which were some distance off now, then returned his gaze to the canine. "There somethin' I can help th' pair'a ya out with?"

OOC: My sincere apologies for the wait on this, Kris. I will be prioritizing this thread. <3

[WC — 303]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi

POSTED: Sun May 14, 2017 10:40 pm

[OOC] I am so sorry, finals are finally over and I can rp again very quickly. I'm sorry for the wait!
[403]

Much to the ex-slave's mixed feelings, the luperci paused and turned around to look at the cat who had so rudely called them. On one hand, she was grateful that they had turned around and acknowledged the cat so that she didn't have to listen to him gripe about it for the next year. On the other though, she wished he had just walked away while he had the chance. He didn't know what he was getting himself into. No one ever did.

Sighing, she stuck one hand into a pocket to feel the velvet bag. The new clothes were warm and whole but still foreign to her. She missed the deep pockets of her cargo pants that adequately hid the large bulge of books and a chess set within them. In these new brown pants, the corner of her blank notebook peeked out of one pocket and the seams of the other stretched with the carved stone pieces. She couldn't help but wonder how long they would last...

Mind wandering away from the present situation, she was startled back to the present by the voice of the dark male, a few inches shorter than Elva. The pale girl shrunk back from his voice while her black cat surged forward. "Yes, indeed there is, thank you for asking." He glared back over at Elva triumphantly. Pointing at her with an ear, he continued. "This brat is Elva and she apparently doesn't trust my judgement. So. I need a second opinion." Behind him, the girl smothered a rude scoff at his words. "Does she or does she not look sick?"

Elva, for once, rose to defend herself. "Of course I look sick. I have been sick for months, cat! It will not miraculously get better in the span of a few days. It takes time..." She was sick and tired of him going around and asking help from anyone they stumbled across out in the wild. As usual, the infuriating animal managed to act as if he'd not heard a single word and went on as if she weren't there. "She can't hunt for herself, she's weak and frail, and I think she needs to find a place to settle down and stay where there are people to take care of her. Don't you agree good sirs?"
Krokar
Greenhorn
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 16, 2017 5:53 pm

There appeared to be an interesting dynamic between the two strangers, and not just because of the difference in their species. Where the cat — a tom the very shade of tar — stood confident and proud, the woman seemed to shrink in on herself. It seemed to Milos as though the cat had more control over Luperci than she did over the cat. But then, like a fire erupting around bone-dry tinder, the woman rose and defended herself with enough fury and irritation that both father and son blinked and watched her with wide-eyed surprise.

Milos was the first to recover, returning his characteristic smile to his dark face and scratching sheepishly at the back of his neck when the cat blatantly ignored the woman and carried on. Logan, grinned with poorly-hidden amusement at the cat's choice of words but was smart enough to keep his comments to himself. The Krokaran glanced from the cat to the woman and looked her over politely. It was difficult for him to tell the condition of her body beneath the fine blue tunic that she wore. But as his eyes danced over her face, he thought he could pick out the sharp angles of her cheekbones and a gauntness to her eyes.

He lowered his hand from his neck and sighed, looking at the cat again. "Reckon a good lot'a folk've been fallin' ill," he said carefully, shifting sunny eyes back upon the woman, treading as tactfully as he could between the two. "Don't know ya from th' next loner but ya en't doin' your body no favors pushin' it without proper food'n rest. Krokar's a friendly place'n there're plenty'a folk as'd help ya get back on your feet. After you're feelin' well again, you're free t' do's ya like." He paused and shrugged, still smiling. "Ev'rybody needs a little help sometimes."

Standing next to his father, Logan watched the loner with his own smile while his tail swept amiably behind him.

OOC: Oh, Kris. <3 You've got nothing to apologize for! But yay for the end of finals! :D Also, please let me know if I should change anything. c:

[WC — 346]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi

POSTED: Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 am

As soon as her short burst of strength faded, she became very aware of the two strangers and their eyes that seemed locked on her. She squirmed beneath their wide gazes and longed to be out of their sights, out of their minds. She and the cat had bickered from day one, but it was a habit they'd both quickly had beaten out of them in the caravan. Now that they were out and free, with no one to stop them, they'd quickly picked it back up again, but it was still something that was difficult to do in front of others.

Elva pulled her hands from out of their pockets. Her wrists poked out thinly from within the rich blue sleeves, scarred hands shaking with nerves. Her dark eyes stayed downcast while one arm snaked around her narrow waist and the other reached trembling to the silver collar that lay on her collar. She pulled her fingers in the loop to steady them and to pull the warm metal away from her flesh in an act of jitters.

The cat had no such anxieties. If the ancient feline had ever known fear, he didn't let it show. Especially not in front of luperci. He swelled with arrogance at the man's consistency in addressing himself, rather than the ex-slave (or so it seemed to the narcissistic little bugger, anyway) and then even more as the stranger supported his stance. "See, girl, what did I tell you? You can't take care of yourself, you need help."

"It is not my fault I could not learn how to hunt on the ship." Not wanting to agree with the cat, but also trying to avoid offending the luperci, she avoided her opinion on the matter. It's not like either of them wanted it anyway. "But it will be your fault if you insist on getting us lost in the middle of nowhere because you refuse to go into a pack's territory." At this, the girl puffed up again. "If we were going anywhere, we would not get lost. You are the one that leads."

Tired of her impudence, he turned away from the obstinate girl and back towards the much more intelligent male without responding. "We would love to take you up on your offer, sirs. You're too kind really." Elva rolled her eyes at his blatant flattery. Even she knew he was laying it on thick. "Now, Krokar was it? Where is that? It sounds familiar..." "That would be because you lead us right to the borders and attracted unwanted attention." The cat puffed up in memory of the incident where he was attacked by a rogue child. "Oh, yes that's right. I'm to blame WHEN YOU WERE THE ONE WHO KICKED ME."

[OOC] I feel like I rambled in this, but it's also 1 AM. If you need me to edit or clarify, just let me know :)
Krokar
Greenhorn
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 pm

Her hands were rough and scarred and Milos unconsciously squeezed his fingers into his palms, feeling callouses scratch skin. He blinked slowly, sunny eyes passing over the sharp angles of her wrists. They were too pointed, like tall mountains against a flat, barren land. The idea of what condition the rest of her body was in flickered weakly in his mind and was proved true when the woman wove an arm around a waist that was much too thin. With her other trembling hand, she tugged at the metal collar around her neck and Milos found himself wondering why she wore it.

While the cat and Luperci bickered, his voices droning in the background of his thoughts, Milos felt with greater and greater certainty that this stranger truly needed help. She was much too thin and though she had enough energy in her yet to argue with the petulant feline, success in winning arguments would neither feed nor warm her. Though there had been no new attacks since the final brawl that had one Sapient their peace, dangers lurked in neutral lands and a thin, weak loner would be easy prey for a ruthless predator.

Thus, Milos had his mind made up by the time the cat's indignant yowl rang through the woodlands and faded in the air. Despite the worries that weighed on his heart, the Quartermaster maintained an easy, genuine smile. "So ya heard'a Krokar b'fore then?" he asked, ignoring the argument. His eyes passed from Elva to the cat and back again. His tail carried on a friendly cadence. "Trust ya weren't treated poorly," he continued, pausing politely for a response before continuing. "En't far t' Krokar, jus' this way here. Why don't ya foll'a me'n Logan back? Reckon we can give ya a tour'n set ya up if ya like t' stay a bit."

Next to him, despite being nearly an adult, Logan gave a puppyish wriggle and grinned excitedly. "An' I can teach ya how t' hunt," he added brightly, his tail whipping back and forth. After a brief glance up at his father, he returned his bright eyes back upon Elva and attempted to contain himself. "Well, be glad t' have someone t' learn with, anyway."

OOC: It's perfect! <3 Eeee and I'm adoring Elva and the cat bickering. x3

[WC — 381]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi

POSTED: Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 am

[426]

The cat turned haughtily towards the older male. "Treated poorly? I was attacked!" He fluffed up twice his size in pure rage over the memory of something that had happened almost a full month ago. He dramatically shuddered, "They ran at me with razor sharp fangs and the intent to kill! I could have been killed! Then who would be here to take care of poor Elva? She was raised a slave, you know. She doesn't know how to survive on her own." Trust the cat to twist some delusion into all about himself being a selfless narcissist.

Elva couldn't let the man think her cat's words were true. Not because they were false, or because she somehow wanted to spare the family any hassle that may come from the feline's lies. No, rather the girl was simply tired of his fibbing and was tired of waiting for someone else to call him out on it. "'They' were a single pup. It was you who tried to attack her, cat. Enough lies. They do not serve you well." Her voice was still low, still soft, but there was steel behind it.

Only when she turned to address the Krokarans (for the first time in this entire encounter) did the edge disappear and her nerve die down. "Ailie and Elise did us no harm." Where she had formerly glared at her own companion, she could not bear to look her own kind in the face. Rather, she pointed her head past them as if looking into the ground a few yards from their feet.

The cat harrumphed as usual, before once more ignoring the girl he so selflessly cared for. He turned to the men, "As long as you can guarantee my safety throughout the ordeal, then we will gladly accompany you to Krokar. Your son is decidedly much better behaved than the child I met, so I suppose I can look past one or two transgression." When would he ever learn? Probably never.

The child addressed the girl who didn't look much older than a child herself. Timidly, she nodded at his offer. The closest she could come to a smile was a quick glance at his face before looking back down again. "That is very kind of you to offer." Looks like there is no way out of this now... That cat will be the death of me. But of course, she couldn't refuse.
Krokar
Greenhorn
Kris
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 21, 2017 11:55 am

Milos was hit by two surprises in a short span of time. The idea that a Krokaran — a member of his own beloved pack — had attacked this thin loner and her cat was a shock. But to hear that the woman had once not only been a slave but had been raised as one caused him to spiral down into dangerous memories. He caught himself quickly, his only outward reaction one of wide-eyed empathy. His lips were drawn together firmly, brows slightly furrowed, but as the pair carried on bickering the features on his face softened again.

At least the two strangers hadn't truly been attacked by his pack mates and to hear who it was who had first greeted them weeks before lightened Milos' soul considerable. The Quartermaster's smile returned and a warm, pleasant chuckle escaped his lips. Logan's own lips twisted in amusement and when he father laughed, so did he. "Little Elise's quite fierce, I gotta admit," he said as his laughter died down. He looked down at the disgruntled cat and nodded. "Reckon she en't meant no harm," he agreed with his companion. "And it en't typical b'havior of us t' go around, harassin' cats. Fact'a th' matter is, there're plenty'a cats in Krokar allowed t' come'n go'n do's they please. Reckon ya might fit in well." He finished his words to the cat with a friendly wink, then turned to the woman.

The warm glow of his eyes softened and his smile receded to gentle empathy. He looked at the slim, sickly woman, whose eyes were now cast to her toes, and felt his heart ache for her. The memories of his own childhood as a thrall — of those poor, beaten souls who shared in a life of slavery with him — again threatened to surface. He cleared his throat. "'Gun's right," he said to her softly. "Be happy t' teach ya all we know." He paused and licked his lips before continuing. "An' all I know 'bout life outta slavery." He searched for her face, sunny eyes dancing over the top of her head, waiting to see her dark irises so that he could pass along the full depth and meaning of his words. The smile was still on his lips, though there was a certain sadness to it. "C'mon," he said at last, gesturing her to follow him. "We can talk s'more on th' way."

[WC — 418]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi

POSTED: Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Welcome to Krokar!

Congratulations! You've been accepted to Krokar! (Streamers, etc.) Now what?

If you're confused or need some help, PM the Krokar account and we'll be happy to assist!

Krokar
OOC Account
Myst, X-tian, & Mandi

Western Forefront