Favourite Character Idea?

Join a pack to have a new life/family.
20%
Employment as a mercenary or bodyguard.
15%
Peaceful vagabond looking for friendship.
10%
Non-Verbal Autism.
15%
Blindness.
15%
Hip Dysplasia/Joint damage.
15%
No defect.
10%

Total votes : 20

Help with new Character?

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:12 pm

It may not be straight away, but I'd like to at some point soon-ish to have a third character going. I've hopped back and forth between wanting to adopt one to making one to then the idea I have now, which I'd like to try and stick with, because it could be quite good. I'd just like people's general opinions on the ideas, or if they think I should change some or add some extra details.
There's multiple ideas for the character in question, which I've put in a poll :)

The basic idea is this:
Yatagarasu Misfit, a Japanese Coydog. (He's about 50% Shiba Inu, 50% Coyote and other stuff). He's from a family of almost pure dogs on his father's side. Because his father and his predecessors are all inbred, in which all offspring remained in the family, the whole Japanese group are littered with issues of fertility and low mortality rates. They also, by coincidence, mostly, have offspring with mental issues or physical defects. Hence the last name Misfit, which was given to the family after Yatagarasu's mother took charge of the group.
I have a general idea of his history and things, his skills and hobbies. What I'd like help with is choosing what Yatagarasu does, (If he's looking for a home, employment, etc.). And also, I'd like help choosing Yata's problem, his mental or physical defect, (or if he has one at all.):

What he does/hopes to do:
-Idea 1: Join a pack and protect them/be a part of a family again.
-Idea 2: Look for 'employment', for a pack or someone to hire him as bodyguard/spy (Or at least aim towards becoming this)
-Idea 3: A peaceful vagabond, looking to make as many friends as possible

His disability:
-Non-verbal Autism: Something I've been looking up the most, which is a type of Autism where sometimes a person suffering Autism can't- or rather simply doesn't- use verbal speech. I thought this would be interesting to play out, and make it a challenge to get Yatagarasu to explain himself to others and such, but also worth it for the interesting threads.
-Blindness: Another possible interesting one, one that would be hard to deal with as well, but would make Yata rather 'sensitive' to other aspects such as sound, it could make him more 'wise' and calm I suppose :/
-Possible Hip Dysplasia or Joint damage: Which would prove difficult to live with, and mean Yata has a harder time doing things. Might spawn his interest of boats and horses or things that move for him.
-Others: Any other interesting ideas are welcome :)

Or it could be that Yatagarasu shows no defects, and is different from his siblings/family in that way. I can roll with any idea, but it's a strange personal preference of mine to be drawn towards characters with 'more' to them. (Even Leo with his Stuttering for example.... Tristan is just amazing and needs no more for me to love him xD) I just like to see/role-play as characters overcoming and dealing with their issue, and it draws my interest towards them when they're more complex like that.

I'd really appreciate people's thoughts on him, any additions to his character or changes to make him more interesting :)
Thanks.

(Also, please let me know if I've overstep boundaries with this or done something wrong, o_O)
Last edited by Leo Shepard on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Shepard

Avatar by Dark, Signature by Raze, Template by Myst.

Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Idk how to be helpful with character developemenbut I really like all your ideas. If you do go the home/protection route or even employment anathema would hire/take him in. They are very family .
Kentaro Lykoi
They say I’m a criminal cause I walk in a different way
Anathema
Zepar (NPC)
Marie
Luperci Mate to Amorette Aston

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:54 pm

I'd just warn you that, if you go with a disability of some sort, to be careful not to play into tropes. For example, blindness won't necessarily magically make Yatagarasu wise -- I'd figure out what you want his personality to be first and then see how blindness, joint problems, etc. would affect that personality.

Sig Image by raze
Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:00 pm

Wise perhaps wasn't best choice of words. I'd like him to be rather, idk, simple minded? He wouldn't be one to lecture others, anyway :P Perhaps being blind since birth just makes him appreciate the sounds and smells others don't, was where I was trying to go with the jumble of words xD But I see what you mean :)
Thanks to both of yee for replying :D
Addition: I drew an image of him yesterday from what I've been gradually designing: Yatagarasu Obviously the skull would be made of clay or something like that, (researching later on) since I don't think there's a bird species big enough for a skull mask/hat. >.<
Last edited by Leo Shepard on Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Shepard

Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Just a small thing but it would be Misfit Yatagarasu. With Japanese names it is the surname first.
Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Tirones
Luperci Mate to Jehan Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:35 pm

Honestly I have been actually rhinking of disadvantages of someone, and I think maybe if he has something mentally wrong her might get serious migranes I have no idea what to call this since I havent looked it up, but mmaybe just maybe he could have something wrong with his eyes that causes his to get serois migranes when he is inthe sun to long. Just a random idea couldnt think of the right words really.

POSTED: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:39 pm

Chrissy Wales wrote:Honestly I have been actually rhinking of disadvantages of someone, and I think maybe if he has something mentally wrong her might get serious migranes I have no idea what to call this since I havent looked it up, but mmaybe just maybe he could have something wrong with his eyes that causes his to get serois migranes when he is inthe sun to long. Just a random idea couldnt think of the right words really.

That's not really a mental disability (in lieu of "mentally wrong" cx) as a migraine is typically a physical symptom and more associated with a physical issue, but can definitely cause mental and emotional repercussions. I believe Lokr Revlis in SL has chronic migraines and so does (his half-sister so genetics) Delfina, so it's a doable thing that can have passing problems.

I did a bit of research (like 5 minutes tbh) and migraines can be triggered from sudden light changes, heat, etc.. so these can be triggers for a migraine suffering character.
SILVANO SADIRA

avatar by Kitty & signature by Pabs
Cour des Miracles
King
Gen
Moderator Luperci Equites Mate to Shiloh
You'll know, you're never alone.
Knight Errant
Commander Shepard
R E N A G O N • S O U L
Literary Liar

POSTED: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Cartier Inferni wrote:Just a small thing but it would be Misfit Yatagarasu. With Japanese names it is the surname first.

I should have known this >.> Whoops, thanks xD

Chrissy Wales wrote:Honestly I have been actually rhinking of disadvantages of someone, and I think maybe if he has something mentally wrong her might get serious migranes I have no idea what to call this since I havent looked it up, but mmaybe just maybe he could have something wrong with his eyes that causes his to get serois migranes when he is inthe sun to long. Just a random idea couldnt think of the right words really.

It's an interesting idea alright, backed-up with Gen's info (Thanks Gen!) :)
Would be rather interesting, since Yatagarasu is the name of a mythical Japanese crow, and I wanted to go with a crow/raven style for Yata's personality, and his appearance etc. If lights gave him migraines and pains, it might make him a nocturnal kind of being. Very interesting ^^
Leo Shepard

Jazzy
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Thanks Gen I was not really all there qhen I wrote that day since so much crap was happening. Yes, I do think that would fit perfect if thats what your going for. I know how how it would feel though for him so. . . owch

POSTED: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 pm

An update to this for anyone interested!

Firstly thanks so much to everyone who voted or gave me suggests, ilu all :3

Secondly, Yata's finally beginning to shape out, so much so that I'm making family pages and possible adoptables and everything xD
His wiki is up for judgement: http://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Characters.MisfitYatagarasu
I'd love for opinions on tiny Yata, his personality and disability etc.
Also would like to announce that I plan for him to join Anathema, so yay :D
Leo Shepard

Jazzy
Luperci

Questions & Help