Short-furred char shifting into Optime during winter

POSTED: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:58 am

So, could a short-furred character like Avinalora be in Secui and then shifts into Optime and then quickly puts her clothing on? In the winter? Or would she have to build a fire and then shift? I'm not very sure since I've never experienced temperatures colder than 70 degrees Fahrenheit and Nova Scotia is probably much colder.
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost
Luperci Venator, Praeceptor The pages of my story are torn and frayed Anathema's Top Poster for March!
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design

POSTED: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:56 am

Halifax, Nova Scotia, is currently experiencing temperatures ranging from the high 20's to mid-30's, Fahrenheit. This isn't technically low enough to be dangerous to most wolves, but considering Avinlora is primarily a jackal-hybrid, clothing would be necessary; a fire, however, would not. So long as she dresses promptly, she should be fine.
Salsola
The Gamekeeper (NPC)
Lorraine
Luperci Cavalleria, Vaquera Mate to Lokr
vitriolic

POSTED: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks!
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost
Luperci Venator, Praeceptor The pages of my story are torn and frayed Anathema's Top Poster for March!

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Weather generally doesn’t change randomly overnight (unless Nova Scotia is anything like the Midwest *glares at sudden spring temps in January*) so I’m actually not very sure what this question is asking! :O

Starting in the fall, Avinalora is going to experience discomfort due to the temperature. She has jackal pelage in all her forms, so her form will not make a difference; if it does, it would be very minute. (I’m slightly guilty of this with Vesper, who sometimes uses her Secui form since it is bulkier to fend off the cold temperatures, but she is a hybrid of native/northern subspecies so it’s negligible.) The Secui form has thicker fur around the neck that turns into an Optime mane, but it would not be drastically different from Lupus in coat otherwise. Regardless of form, she would need to take measures to stay warm.

So Avinalora should be dressed for the weather already. She should have probably started dressing for the weather when the temperatures began to drop in fall, as well as using fires, staying out of the wind and snow, etc. :) I don't think she would be in a situation where she would need to "quickly" shift to get dressed.

If you have clarifications about what scenario you have in mind, that would be helpful as well!

Sig Image by raze
Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 pm

Uh.... whoops.

I thought she might have thicker fur in Secui. There are probably five threads where the only scrap of clothing she has on her in her Optime clothing. Two threads have her with an anorak tied around her waist giving her protection. Might need to edit the ones I can.

And in this thread is where she shifts from Secui to Optime to greet her friends.

So...yeah.
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 pm

Here is the tidbit about the Secui coat on the RP Guide:
A Secui form coat not very different from a Lupus form coat. There are no noticeable changes in the body fur’s overall length or thickness, but thicker, shaggier mane begins at the base of the ears, covers the throat, and extends halfway down the back, giving the Secui form even more of a heavy, hulking appearance.

Her scruff would be a bit warmer, but again—the fur is not overall different from her normal pelage, which would be too short for Canadian winters. It would basically be like wearing a scarf while also wearing shorts and a t-shirt in the snow. ;>

So yes, you should probably edit those threads to add some sort of protection in the form of clothing, etc. for her Secui form. I imagine that a friend in Optime could have helped her put on this clothing—as well as, obviously, helped tailor it to suit that form.

Sig Image by raze
Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguini

POSTED: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Could she have her anorak wrapper over her? It's kind of oversized on her at least and would provide suitable protection? Or she could wear a little cloak like she does in Lupus?
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost

POSTED: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:20 pm

If the covering is thick and can be securely fastened on her Lupus/Secui forms, then certainly she can wear them, but whether they're "suitable protection" can depend on a lot of other things, including current temperatures and weather conditions.

One danger of having inadequate natural protection is that coverings that aren't secured to various parts of the body (such as a cloak) won't be able to protect well against wind, wind chill, and aren't that great for helping someone retain heat, because they are mostly "open". A lot of pieces of clothing also only cover part of the body, like jackets, which wouldn't help an individual's rear end retain heat. It's hard to completely cover a Lupus/Secui though because most items of clothing aren't made for this form, but even a Lupus/Secui should be able to use things like hats, scarves, and legwarmers if they have someone to help dress them.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
commission info

Upcoming Absence(s):
you know what here's the con schedule
'Souls Assemblage
King of Explodekills
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

POSTED: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm

Ohh..

I did have a design for a small garment she could wear in Secui that could transfer to Optime?

It's in the works but since Avi is now sticking to Secui and Optime, it might be okay? I'm not particularly sure for her legs but I've noticed a lot of doggy clothes don't cover the legs.
Any suggestions?
Avinalora

Anathema
Bathin
Silverfrost

POSTED: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 pm

That type of covering seems like it'd be more effective for Lupus/Secui than Optime, so I'm not sure it's great as a dual-usage item. Four-legged forms can get away without as much belly cover since the underside wouldn't be exposed to as much wind and movement in the legs when walking/running would generate a bit of heat for the belly. But leaving most of the front/stomach area exposed in Optime form is exposing that area to wind/cold without as much heat generation.

Most modern dog clothing leave the legs unrestricted to prevent hindering mobility and because, again, movement is usually enough to stave off cold -- though you may consider legwarmers or similar for Avinalora since mobility is already an issue because of her leg? Lots of dog owners put boots and feet covering on dogs to prevent frostbite, so that's something to consider too.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
commission info

Upcoming Absence(s):
you know what here's the con schedule
'Souls Assemblage
King of Explodekills
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help