Construction Question from the Builder Man pls help

POSTED: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73REgj-3UE

Here is a video by a youtube channel called "Primitive Technology", in which a man builds a hut using all naturally occurring materials and simple tools. He builds a kiln out of mud basically and uses it to fire clay tiles for the roof. Would any of this be unlikely for a Luperci to be able to do?

Also there is a small passage running under the hut (again all made of stones and clay) that acts like a heater for the hut when a fire is lit beneath. Could a Luperci come up with this idea? Maybe one that reads a lot of construction books and has experience with building?

Please and thank you!
Lux
Anathema
Bael
Corie
Luperci Mate to Athos

POSTED: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:25 am

I don't have an authoritative answer to this one, Corie, but I thought I'd let you know I just lost near 2 hours of my life looking through this guy's videos (which are all, for the record, equally as insane/impressive).

My assumption would be that it isn't out of the realm of possibility, but that you'd have to plug a couple of gaps in reality, such as:

a) Where did your character learn the idea for this technique? It doesn't seem to me that a luperci who spends most of their time hunting/fending for themselves/providing food or protection for a smallish, more feral style pack would have the time for trial and error that it would take to develop those ancient techniques on their own. However, perhaps a luperci who comes from a larger and more stable pack or society - one in which barter of skills and crafts can be used to acquire necessities like food and protection - might be able to 'specialize' their talents in this sort of construction, or learn the necessary trade skills from an equally culturally-privileged elder/teacher? If they came to understand the technique from books alone, you might have to keep in mind the amount of time it would take to actually master the craft (like, how many times they might go to make one of those tiles but have the clay mixture be wrong and have it crumble away, or have the fire in the kiln be an incorrect temperature potentially cracking the tiles, so on so forth); And how, in the meantime, they are able to support themselves.

b) What would the character's drive to creating this sort of structure be? Ancient humans would have needed the source of warmth to stay alive in colder temperatures, making the heater more of a necessity; For a luperci, it would strike me as more of a luxury. This would lead me to think that, like all Luperci who specialize in more luxury crafts, they again might've had to come from a larger, more 'cultured' civilization that could support that sort of endeavor?

Just some thoughts! I'll be interested to see what the SA have to say, because I love it when Luperci and ancient human culture intertwine. In the meantime, I'm going to watch MORE OF THESE PRIMITIVE TECH VIDEOS, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!

slithered here from Eden
Salsola
The Lord Commander
Alaine
Luperci / Cazador Mate to Osrath
wrath of the north
a voice in the deep

POSTED: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 pm

LOL sorrynotsorry XD

Lux comes from a rather large and humanized pack and he would be consulting with other more experienced builders, intellectuals, and inventors if that helps... Also the drive to have a heater is because the building would be a clinic and the healer that would use it has a very thin short coat, and it'd probably be good that the patients weren't cold all the time ^^" thank you for your input!
Lux
Anathema
Bael
Corie
Luperci Mate to Athos

POSTED: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Within the realm of possibility? Absolutely. Practical for a given individual? Maybe.

One thing I'd like to see people move away from is the "learned it from a book" thing. As the game progresses in time, books become increasingly rare, and I think even those that have been in Luperci families for generations would be deteriorating despite any care given to them. Books become fragile in storage, but they also become worn and damaged from use.

It's far better for Luperci to learn and invent from practical and hands-on experience anyway. So definitely a character "discovering" the means and methods for a thing should have a practical background in it. I think it's easy enough to give reasons for Luperci wanting shelter, and it's not too far of a stretch to say one day someone built a fire over mud and saw that it became hardened and sturdy, and to go from there. Observation of natural elements is a thing we humans take for granted, I think, but which Luperci should be excellent at. Grass and mud roofs are prone to various sorts of damage, so I also don't think it's a stretch for a Luperci, after learning how to fire clay tiles, to think of using them to protect a roof, etc.

The heater idea is also pretty practical, I think. Fire makes heat, but too much smoke is bad. Dig a hole and put the fire there. Books are great. Logic is better. :3

tl;dr this should be fine, haha.
ALAINEY DREW THIS
commission info

Upcoming Absence(s):
you know what here's the con schedule
'Souls Assemblage
King of Explodekills
Kiri
'Souls Assemblage

Questions & Help