No hoof, no horse

POSTED: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:23 pm

For Cartier.

Vicira was glad that there was always work to be done. It helped keep her mind off things, allowing her to be by herself a while—or at least away from other Luperci. She was never truly alone when she visited the gardens or the stables to care for Inferni’s horses, but that was okay. She could talk to the horses all she liked, or simply find comfort in their silence; they weren’t uncomplicated animals, but when she needed to recharge at the end of the day, simple tasks and simple companionship worked wonders.

She was in Bairre’s stall now, an old hoof pick in hand. She ran her hand along the horse’s shoulder and leg, asking him for his foot, and the obedient roan lifted it for her. Taking it in hand, she began to work at scraping mud from the hoof; there was plenty of that on all the animals when they rode out into the still-wet territory. Once she’d finished working most of the mud out, she scraped at the sensitive frog of the foot with a claw, and let that hoof down.

Birds sang outside the garage, and Vicira leaned against the stallion for a few moments, shutting her eyes.

Sig Image by WXaman
Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Level III Rex Chaos Star oderint dum metuant
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 pm

381 → Out of Character text

Cartier knew he shouldn't be happy because of the losses that Inferni had faced but he couldn't help himself. He had been out to see Jehan again and he couldn't keep the grin from his face. It had become quite obvious, to any that paid attention to him, when Cartier had just spent time with the one armed dog. There wasn't really anything going on between them that should cause such giddiness but just being with the other male made Cartier feel that way. He felt comfortable with Jehan and for the space of time he was with the dog he could forget how wrong it was to enjoy the company of another man even if they did nothing but rest next to each other and talk about nonsense. Cartier still had thoughts about the dog that he couldn't speak on, not because he thought that Jehan would ostracize him for them but more because Cartier still wasn't certain how he felt about such thoughts. They seemed okay in Jehan's presence but as soon as he left the other he was plagued with guilt once again.

Since the flooding of the caverns his sister and himself had moved into the mansion. It allowed him to be with his sister while being close to the horses as well. Of course he felt betrayal to his mother's memory for having left where they were born but they had to as the floods had taken their home.

Cartier was on his return to see his sister to pay his penance but he decided to stop in the stable first and check to see how his boys were doing. He hadn't been able to really work with them while it rained or even for weeks after as he waited for the rain waters to recede and the ground to firm so he wouldn't chance one of the horse's breaking a leg.

Before he could get to the horses that he was working with to check on them he spotted Vicira. Cartier's grin grew as he moved over towards the stall. "I think you have been spending too much time with the horses if you are starting to sleep standing up now." He poked fun at Vici as if she really were his sister.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
Luperci Mate to Jehan Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:11 pm

A safe, familiar scent lingered in the air contained by the stables, and Bairre nickered at the man while Vicira opened her eyes and allowed a soft smile to touch her lips. She might have avoided anyone else if they came by—including her parents—but she trusted Cartier and didn't think she could feel upset around him for long.

Well, they like to sleep standing up, so maybe I'm missing out on something, she said, her voice a little too mild to make her words sound like a joke, but she leaned away from the horse to approach the stall gate. She slid it open and lingered in the doorway. I'm just taking a break. I've felt like being by myself a lot lately. But you should stick around, maybe help me out? She lifted the hoof pick. It's been so muddy, they really need their hooves cleaned. And you're nice company.

She tilted her head as she studied his face, and smiled after a moment, brows knit slightly. You seem happy.

Sig Image by WXaman
Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Sat May 02, 2015 12:40 pm

312 → Out of Character text

"I've tried it once and my legs started to hurt after awhile." He hadn't done it just to try it out but because Galtero had been frightened so he had stayed with the yearling in order to keep him calm. Those first few days spent with the colt after the round up had been long ones in which he had spent all of his time with his young charge to get him settled in.

Cartier took a few steps back when the stall door was being opened so that he would be out of the way. He was going to offer to leave Vicira be when she said that she felt like being by herself but her next set of words ruined that before he could even open his mouth. He didn't want to impose if she needed the time to herself.

"Give me the dirty job, will you?" He took the hoof pick with a grin. He didn't really mince since he was used to grooming the horses from head to hoof anyways. "Who is next?" He asked as he looked around as if he could figure out who had been done and who hadn't by a glance alone. "How is Careta doing?"

Her next statement took him by surprise. He looked back to the female that he had been raised alongside, shock having transformed his features. "Do I?" he asked as he reached up to feel his face. "I was just spending time with a friend." The words were mumbled out as he stared towards the ground. He felt guilty for having been so happy when losses had been suffered back here in Inferni. It would be yet another thing that he would have to receive penance for when he went back to his sister for his confessions.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Sat May 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Vicira smiled. I guess we aren't made for it, she replied. A canine was a predator and did not have to be ready to bolt at all hours of the night or day like a horse might; that was how she understood their tendency to sleep standing. Everything about them seemed designed for running away and being hard to catch or kill. Even when born they were not like helpless pups, most foals able to stand minutes after birth and walk around on wobbly legs. It was these differences, she supposed, that made canines like Vesper unable to connect with the creatures.

She pouted her bottom lip at Cartier as he teased her, playing at hurt as if he'd suggested she wouldn't stoop to do such a task. For that I should make you clean hooves and muck the stables, she chastised, but smiled and only stepped out of the stall briefly to get another pick after handing Cartier the one. Of course, she wouldn't and couldn't make Cartier do anything; he was higher ranked than her and she adored him, besides. I need to finish Bairre, she said, returning to the stall. I haven't done Fuerza yet, she added, gesturing to the stall opposite the roan stallion.

She moved to Bairre's other side and ran her fingers down his other leg, pausing as Cartier asked after Careta. She's a handful, Vici replied. Training is going well though she only works when she wants to. Since Rosaline left I'm taking over with the black filly, Branwen, but at least she's easier.

Taking the stallion's foot in hand, Vicira lifted her eyes to see Cartier as he felt at his face and mumbled evasively about a "friend." Her smile was a little more sly than usual. Yeah? Tell me about them, she said. She didn't want to tease Cartier if he was embarrassed about it, but gentle talk should be easy enough.

She began to scrape mud from Bairre's hoof, and wrinkled her nose. It stank worse than usual, and when she brushed away most of the muck to get to the frog, the hoof there was dark. Ah, no, she muttered, and let Bairre drop his hoof. I think he's got thrush, she told Cartier, frowning. I worried some of the horses might get it since it's been so muddy and wet out...

Sig Image by WXaman
Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 am

501 → Out of Character text

"I guess not." He agreed. Perhaps there were some coyotes that could do it but one of them wasn't him. He had only done so because he had needed to but he wasn't about to try and do it again when he had no cause to do so. Sleep hadn't been easy during that time and he was often moving around to try and ease the strain he felt in his legs. Of course that hadn't helped Galtero to settle. Eventually Cartier simply had to just push through and withstand the uncomfortableness in order to make certain the colt felt at ease.

He gasped as if he was shocked. "How dare you?" He ended up laughing. He glanced over to Fuerza as the stallion mentioned. "Probably a good thing. He is still a bit testy." He moved over to the stallion that he had rescued and slipped into the stall to work with the horse. "You know if you ever need any help then you can ask me." Though he figured Vici already knew this. He had always been willing to do whatever it was that he could for her. Of course it extended beyond her to her siblings and parents as well as his own sister, and now to Jehan. He would do whatever he absolutely could for those that he cared about.

"It's just this dog I met. He's a trader. He was just in the area for a bit. Going to see if he could get me some bee's wax." He spoke vaguely about Jehan and acted as if the relationship was merely professional in nature. He couldn't really explain why he liked Jehan when the other went against his normal type.

When he picked up on the stench he wrinkled his nose. "Eww Vici! You should warn someone first before you stink up the place." He teased, playing as if the female had farted. He grew serious when she said that Bairre had thrush. "We should go to Haroseth and see what she has to treat it with. We can trade up on the extra attention that Bairre will need."

He paused in his work with Fuerza and patted the stallion's neck on his way out of the stall. He set the pick down to free up his hands and made his way up to the loft to bring down fresh bedding for Bairre. He figure they should go ahead and get his stall cleaned out to make sure he had a dry place to stand. They would have to watch and make sure his environment didn't get too wet or dirty while he healed so that it didn't make the thrush worse.

"Take him out and I'll clean out his stall." He offered when he returned from the loft. He figured to go ahead and take care of the environment problem since that was a problem that he could fix.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

POSTED: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:03 pm

I reached my word count for the co-rank, so we can end it whenever we need to. I'm glad to continue this until we don't know what else to do/what they should talk about, though! The option to close is there regardless in case you need to or we can't decide what to do next. ^^

Vicira giggled at his feigned shock and nodded as he went to work with Fuerza. She nodded again at his offer, smiling. I know. You're the greatest, she said to him, her tail wagging. She was closer to Cartier than she was with either of her other siblings -- Maeriia gone now, and Kyrios beloved but independent. She simply had more in common with her horse-loving, gentle brother figure. It would probably be different if he'd taken up other pursuits, but if anyone was a blend of Vesper and Myrika, it was likely him.

Cartier described his mysterious friend as a dog trader, which was odd to Vicira. She wasn't sure how anyone could make long-lasting friends outside of Inferni; it would always come down to a choice, and Vesper had warned her of this several times, if indirectly. What's his name? Is he one of those fancy merchants with a carriage and a hardy horse? She grinned, half-joking, but wanted to encourage Cartier to talk more about this man if their friendship made him happy. Of course, for her own part she was imagining someone tall and strong, perhaps vain, clinking with trinkets and carrying jars of wax and dye and other things. Maybe I'll meet him someday, she added, and searched his expression for a reaction to see if it would upset Cartier or encourage him. Sharing a friend with him might make it less big and scary, right?

She nodded as he mentioned Harosheth. I'm not sure what can be done, she said, admittedly inexperienced in this. Her mother had taught her what signs to look out for in a sick horse, but she didn't know how to treat them on her own. I hope he doesn't go lame, she added -- her true worry. She rubbed her hand along the stallion's freckled neck.

When Cartier came back down from the loft with an armful of new grass and bedding, Vicira found a rope to loop to his halter and led him out; he was happy to obey her. She took him a little outside of the garage stable and took his foot in hand again, prodding along the bottom of the hoof to check for soreness. We caught it early, maybe, she said. Some poultices from Harosheth might help it, and keeping the stalls dry. They would need to check the other horses, though, and she wanted to tell her mother.

Sig Image by WXaman
Inferni
Regulus III
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:36 am

516 → Whatever you want to do works for me

"Of course I am." He grinned, though he didn't truly feel this way. The words were simply spoken in jest. He didn't doubt Vicira's sincerity though. He knew his "sister" wouldn't take to lying to him. He knew that she truly felt such a way even if the praise was quite generous on her part. He had no doubt that she thought fondly of him, as he did her. Honestly it felt good to spend quality time with her again.

He shrugged when she questioned him about the one-armed dog. "His name is just Jehan." The phrasing spoke volumes, it said there was more than just "just" to Jehan in Cartier's opinion. "He has none of that stuff. He just has a bag and has good luck charms. I don't think he can drive a carriage with just one arm." Not that Cartier had ever tried to take the cart out and see if it was possible to do with one hand. In fact Cartier took for granted all that he could do easily because he had two hands to do so with.

"Maybe..." He meant to agree with her but Cartier wasn't certain he really wanted Vici meeting Jehan. He liked them both well enough but what if they liked each other really well? He knew it wasn't his place and he had no say in the matter though. If they saw something in each other then he would simply have to be happy for the two of them. After all that was the way that things were meant to be. It wasn't like he had a real shot anyways.

Cartier frowned at the problem that Vici brought up. His thoughts had gone to the same place but he had been afraid to put voice to them just in case it made it come true. "I hope not." He spoke the words softly and chanced that he didn't just ruin their luck. "We'll just watch him really carefully, and anyone else that has it. We can talk to your mom, she knows a lot about horses. Maybe she could tell us what to ask Harosheth for and we can just get stuff for her to make what she needs to make." And inevitably Cartier would end up taking up lessons just so that he would know exactly what to do the next time, though hopefully there wouldn't be a next time, that something should happen. He wanted to be able to be responsible and not have to ask for help all of the time.

Granted he knew there was nothing inevitably wrong with asking for help but still he liked to be able to do everything on his own. He would rather be shown how to do something rather than have that something done for him. Plus he also enjoyed just being active rather than sitting idly by. He just didn't get his sister's enjoyment in sitting quietly and reading. He preferred to be on the move and doing something productive always.

Cartier Inferni
fideli certa merces

Inferni
Civilis III
fire on the hillside
sinner

Dead Topics