Your words are like pin needles in my ears.

Daeva

POSTED: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:20 pm

Insidious is blind inception

The arrow notched, the slightest tick of sound catching in Basilio's throat. He was careful not to let it loose, fear of it going off range and hitting one of the animals almost greater than the fear that he had of being found out for what he really was. He felt like a traitor to Inferni, considering the company he'd been keeping outside of Inferni lands. Though they were not enemies of the Inferni pack as a whole, they were wolves and it made him somewhat sick to his stomach. He knew that being friends with her and her daughter had been a good idea, mainly based upon the fact that both had had the instinct to pick up the single item latched in Basilio's hair, a jeweled feather that was bound to a leather drawstring, tied around the very bottom of his braid so that any could see it. Thrace's feather. He missed his raven something terribly, though it had been all too long since he'd even considering making another companion from the Raven's crest, despite the fact that there were almost too many there these days anyways.

He stood in the middle of the Forest of Nod, the broad stretch before him lively and open, as it should have been considering he'd spent the most of his morning clearing out wood and debris of the straight and narrow path that he'd found wandering through the trees. One of those trees had a scratched out target in its midst, though Basilio couldn't help but notice that he'd been standing on a hill when he'd carved it there.

He carefully drew back the taut line, letting the arrow go with a loud thwack!, the sound of the string brushing against the fur near his cheek letting him know that his arrow would be off course. It plummeted a bout three or four feet away from the target, not in front, but behind, nearly thirty or so feet away from where he now stood. He shook his head warily, letting his bow drop for the slightest of moments so that his braced wrist was given the chance to rise, the back of his hand rubbing at his eyes and face.

The Great Forest of Nod | [wc — +3] template by hilli
Loners
DEAD
Dread
Luperci Chaos Star icon
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:08 am

running 'round leaving scars
[ 310 ] » Sorry for the slow! Was tied up with a phone call. >.<

Once again the wild huntress was out wandering, her foot-paws carrying her tirelessly across the length and breadth of the coyotes' claim. With the war going on she found herself frequenting the southeastern border more than any other, but dutifully made her rounds across every point of the compass when time permitted. While the whole of Inferni seemed pointed in one direction she made sure its other sides were still well watched, just in case anyone else tried to get one over on the clan while its eyes were narrowed by tunnel vision.

Meandering without course she found herself in the Forest of Nod, a place she was oft to visit due to her affinity for archery. She had taken it upon herself to keep an eye on the archery stands dotting the border there and every now and again would climb each one to check its sight lines, camouflage, and durability – making note of which ones needed tending to for the next trip out. This time though, she was simply patrolling, and it was not until the sharp thwang of a bowstring letting loose an arrow came to her oversize ears that she deviated from her somewhat lackadaisical circuit.

It didn't take long for her to find him, the diminutive male she had seen more than once around the pack. She had always found it fascinating that he had lived so long being so small and almost went up to bombard him with questions one time, but better judgement won out over sheer curiosity. This time she was not so levelheaded. Perhaps it was the sight of his tiny bow and tiny arrows or his tiny target, she wasn't quite sure, but she just couldn't help but approach the undersized male, molten gold settling on his face once it came into view. "Hey. You any good with that thing?"

Table by Eve

Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Eve
Luperci Multiple Co-Ranks Chaos Star
DRAGONBORN
YOL TOOR SHUL

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:23 am

He'd always been told that practice made perfect, even though he knew that with him, severe amounts of practice was needed when it came to using a bow and arrow. A cross bow or something of the sort would have certainly been a better vice for him, considering his size and the length and muscle to his arms. However, he was never one to take the advice of others on matters that had to do with his size and restrictions that derived from that very weakness that he saw as a strength. Common sense told him that this area wasn't deserted. He'd come across it once or twice in his youth with Loki and since then, had been running through it on a daily basis, at least when he was within the pack-lands or a member of Inferni and there had been a long period of time where he had not been. It had made his legs stronger and reared into him a speed that was both trained and intense. When he trained, he did so with a brutality that was his own, so caught up in his own game until he had no other choice but to look up and catch the eye of whomever was talking to him.

This time, it had turned out to be a woman.

Time had given him enough of a hard time for him to know that others had questions and those questions weren't always nice. While, yes, he was a pygmy, he was still a man, a male of the coyote species. He had all the working parts and then some and would pretty much put that statement on display when he knew the time was ripe and neigh. He turned at the sound of the woman's voice, the arrow that had been caught between two of his fingers recoiling to the ground just beneath him rather than flying out toward the target. This time, he hadn't been trying to shoot it.

"Moderately. Usually, I don't have such a hard time reaching the target. Today my arrows have a mind of their own." Looking her over, Basilio should have known that she was a Lykoi. She had probably been here just as long as he had, though he wasn't sure that he'd seen her very often. Eyes and memories told him that they'd crossed paths before but only briefly which allowed him to display a temporal grin across his fanged maw. "Why? Are you?"

ooc stuff here | [wc — +3] template by hilli
Loners
DEAD
Dread
Luperci Chaos Star icon
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:46 am

[ 352 ]

Upon taking notice of her presence his next readied arrow seemed to rebound on him and flop to the earth at his feet, shattering any positive thoughts she had on whether or not he was at all good with his appropriately sized bow. She smiled, though not at his antics, it was a beguiling little thing that always eased to her sharp coyjack maw whenever she was in the presence of a male. In spite of his petite stature he was well proportioned and seemed to be taking good care of himself – if he were the right size she may have even found him attractive. That is, if he wasn't related to her. It took only a glance at the Lykoi blaze on his muzzle and the Chaos Star tattooed upon his chest to make that assumption more than a reality.

"The best there is." She retorted as her bewitching smile turned more sly and boastful, her words holding truth even if he didn't believe her. There were plenty who could say such a thing and not have the skills to back it up, but she was not one of them, and those fiery eyes of hers almost dared him to challenge her claim. Aside from the time she spent on hand-to-hand combat and throwing knives she dedicated almost all of her training to archery. If she was going to do something she wanted to be good at it, and if she wanted to be good at something she wanted to be the best. Some coyotes liked to hunt in feral form, others in secui, others with knives or alternative weapons. Her specialty was bow hunting and she reveled in the sport.

As always she was armed to the teeth, her own bow slung across her back with her hip quiver hanging off her belt and her throwing knives strapped to her thigh. She didn't go out patrolling without being thoroughly prepared for anything, especially now, when at any moment those damn Cour es Miracles bastards could mount a surprise attack. "I could show you a thing or two, if you want."

Table by Eve

Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Eve
DRAGONBORN
YOL TOOR SHUL

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:02 am

Damned arrow. He'd let it slip by him without noticing. Despite the fact that the earth beneath it didn't seem to mind it at all, Basilio was sure that he'd just made a fool of himself in front of her. However, it didn't matter much around other pack mates as much as it did to outsiders. Inferni's coyotes had an image to uphold after all. A foot taller than him, he expected that things wouldn't have worked out in that manner even if they weren't family. It was hard enough trying to figure out who he was related to outside the pack. It was one of the few reasons he'd made an effort to get out now and again, make the venture to new places where new canines, coyote, wolf, jackal, and dog roamed. While that had inevitably put him in the path of Leela'vana, he couldn't say that it had been altogether successful, considering that was something that was as much a taboo to him as sleeping with his sister, not that he had any connotations toward the white woman that were any semblance of familial relation.

Her smile drew one of his own, brief and honest, as she started speaking. 'The best there is..' she stated with such confidence that Basilio almost wanted to believe her. However, he knew other Bowmen and women. There were too many out there for her to be the best, though he was sure she was quite good with the bow regardless. He let his neck crook, the slightest head tilt in her direction, disbelief running thickly through that wine stained gaze of his. "Care to prove it? Wouldn't take long.." Like her, Basilio was already dressed for war. With war on the horizon and the Cavaliers always right there on their hide, there was no way in the seven hells that he was going to leave the mansion without his weapons. While they definitely weren't on his person, all she had to do was look to the left to spot them. A long katana, one that looked as if it had been taken off of an ancient Asian warrior still in its sheath. Two scimitar, short enough to possibly even be labeled as daggers, right beside that. Effortless, Basilio drew back the taut line, arrow notched into place and then let it go. It sank into the target, almost bulls-eye, though almost bulls-eye wasn't good enough for someone who claimed to be a perfectionist. "I'd like that. I'm not as bad as it seems. I use it mostly for hunting, rather than fighting. Large targets mean less likelihood of having to hit a small roaming form, right?" Letting his bow hand plummet, she can see the brace made of hard leather wrapping around his wrist, his shoulders covered with hard leather armor stained red for Inferni with sharp needle point spikes shoved through, a half breast plate attached to that that comes over his heart, leaving just enough room at the collarbone to see his Lykoi tattoo. He holds his hand out toward her. "I'm Basilio Lykoi. Helotes Lykoi was my father. You are?"

ooc stuff here | [wc — +5] template by hilli
Loners
DEAD
Dread
Luperci Chaos Star icon
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:25 am

[ 528 ]

He asked if she could prove her boast and she almost laughed, her smile lingering as her arms rose to cross against her chest almost indignantly, although it was obvious she was more than delighted to accept his challenge. She had noticed his other weapons strewn about when she had first approached but never had much interest in what she considered to be up close and personal weaponry, usually the blades – swords, daggers, knives, and so on. She had her throwing knives but they were just that, throwing knives, weighted and balanced for use as projectiles, not stabbing and slicing weapons – though they were good for that too. The huntress was very much a long range combatant and preferred her arrows and knives to do the fighting for her, keeping herself at range and more or less out of harm's way. She wasn't afraid to get hurt and was certainly not afraid of dying, plus she had the hand-to-hand skills as well as the agility and mettle to fight, she simply preferred the challenge of being at range.

Whether or not it was her presence or her boast that summoned up some confidence in him it took only that for the little male to improve, his next arrow sent close to a bullseye within the hand-carved target upon the tree. Molten gold lingered upon the arrow for a moment before her gaze returned to settle upon his face once again, her maw dipping in an acknowledging nod. "I use my bow mainly for hunting as well, though I do value the sport in trying to hit a small roaming form." She did most of her small game hunting – rabbits, weasels, and the like – in feral form, using her larger stronger secui to take down the quick moving small animals; but every now and again she had a great deal of fun in practicing her marksmanship on a hare or two. The way he looked, and the way he was armored, it seemed like he was much more inclined to fight with his hands, using his bladed weapons and close quarters combat over his bow. She could admire that, putting one's strength to good use, but that wasn't her thing.

"Well met Basilio, I'm Daeva Lykoi. Can't say I've had the pleasure of meeting your father. Or mine." She reciprocated as she shook his hand, the last of her words dripping with a sourness she felt she would never be rid of. She had wholly accepted that she was a Lykoi through and through, even if only her mysterious father tied her to the family. The more she learned about them, and him, the more she realized her roots ran much deeper than she thought. Shutting her eyes for a moment, she shook the bitterness from her mind and turned her attention back to the tree, an arrow plucked from her quiver as she retrieved her bow from her back. The arrow was notched within seconds and loosed within seconds more, the point embedding itself square within the bullseye, narrowly missing Basilio's arrow in the process. Her sly smile returned as bright fiery gold finally met deep wine red.

Table by Eve

Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Eve
DRAGONBORN
YOL TOOR SHUL

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:42 am

What might have been misconstrued as confidence was actually Basilio's natural approach to most things. He liked games, making contests out of different things, doing what felt right in the end even though it was probably better for him to practice on his lonesome as well. His whole life, he'd been practicing with swords while his bow had only come after he'd left Inferni with his father the first time and come back after having been enslaved. Quiet, somewhat calculative of what her words held in them, whether anticipation, apprehension or dire concentration, Basilio gave a nod of his head. He couldn't tell whether the small game comment was meant to be a joke on his expense due to his statement, not his size, or whether she meant rabbits, birds, squirrels, swine.. that variety of small, helpless game. Her words weren't boasting. It only took an arrow to the bullseye for him to really notice. Quiet, somewhat somber in his approach, Basilio looked back at her with that in mind, a small chagrin smile etching its way over ebony lips, his tail wavering behind him. Practice apparently did make perfect if this was the reward of someone who had been practicing with bows as their primary weapon.

"What is your favorite game? You said small time treasures but the way you sling an arrow, there's no doubt bigger game is much more to your liking." He posed, reaching his hand over his shoulder to grab at another arrow, haphazardly taking a step forward since he'd stepped back during her demonstration of how a bow and arrow should be treated. Hesitant eyes turned upon her once she began her introduction. 'Well met..' yeah. The real part he focused on what the pain, irritation and anger that bled into her voice at the mention of her father. It brought up some of his own anger at his mother which rounded his gaze finally back to the arrows pinned to the tree. They'd have to move them if they wanted accurate shots. Or they could simply do other things with their arrows.

"Don't worry. I know my mother's name but that's about all, other than, well, the fact that she was like me. I can't remember her face, her voice, anything. She ran away when Azucena and I were only pups, left us with our pa." He starts walking toward the handmade target, quick in this venture since the girl might loose an arrow at his head otherwise, and then he inches back to stand where he'd been. It's easy to tell their arrows apart, or it should be since his are stained an off color, their tails black from Raven wing streamers. Whether she can tell, though, he's not sure. He gives back her arrow, settling into place where he'd been a moment before. "So, care to show me?"

Loners
DEAD
Dread
Luperci Chaos Star icon
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:12 am

[ 582 ]

"It is. I prefer deer, namely elk and caribou. I have my eyes on one day felling a moose, but I need more time, more practice." She mused in response to his query about prey. As of late her favorite game was elk, and she had brought in three just a few weeks prior; first the doe and calf, then the large bull from the southern forests. The doe and calf were no problem getting back to the pack but it took the help of her horse Indra to bring back the bull. By no means a large coyote, she would have never been able to drag by the massive creature back on her own, especially from so far away. She surmised from that day onward that she would bring Indra on all of her longer and farther hunting trips, especially if she was going after large prey.

The other Lykoi seemed to take notice of the sudden shift in tone as she spoke of her father and sought to empathize with her by speaking of his mother, with whom, like her, he seemed to be estranged from. She was appreciative of the gesture and it showed in her features, which softened for a moment as she nodded in acknowledgement of his words. At the mention of his mother being like him, she could only assume he meant that she too was quite small, which did well to answer some of the many questions brimming at the back of her mind. Molten gold followed as he moved to the tree to collect the arrows, his a darker wood fletched with raven feathers while hers was a lighter wood fletched with kite feathers molted from her avian companion Kali, who was often left to her own devices and spent most of her days wandering the skies when she wasn't needed.

Quick to change the subject, Basilio returned her arrow to her and asked for some pointers, which she readily accepted, examining the point of her arrow before bringing it close to her bow. "There are four basic steps to a prefect shot. Set, aim, release, and follow through." She began, demonstrating as she continued. "First, set your stance. Your feet should be planted, your back straight, your bow arm locked, and your string arm loose." As she spoke she notched her arrow and raised her bow, establishing the proper stance, and drawing the string back against the lower edge of her jaw. "Next, aim. Set your sights down the shaft of the arrow all the way to the point. Set the point of your arrow on your target, then adjust your aim with your string arm, not your bow arm." The next part was hard to demonstrate, the fine tuning of the aim was more of an acquired skill, something that had been refined through hours and hours of dedicated practice.

"Finally, release and follow through. Let your fingers slide off the string, don't just let go, you'll upset your aim. When the arrow is loosed, don't drop your bow just yet, keep your bow arm straight until you're sure your arrow has struck your target. Dropping your bow too soon will also upset your aim." The last steps happened in an instant; the arrow was released and struck the tree in another bullseye, her bow only lowering once she heard the sharp stone point embed within the wood. Relaxing, she settled her gaze upon his face once again, smiling. "Easy as that."

Table by Eve

Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Eve
DRAGONBORN
YOL TOOR SHUL

POSTED: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:10 pm

Nothing wrong with a little blood and bone

Moose were a difficult to hunt. He knew from experience that it took more than a simple method to kill them. One, they were oblivious to most forms of intimidation, most with wracks that would no doubt bludgeon an individual if they got too close but they also had protective fat around their necks that made it harder to sink an arrow into their hide. One would have to have considerable strength and even then, their aim would have to be right on but he could tell, without a doubt, that Daeva had the ability to if she worked herself up to actually going on that hunt.

He wrinkled his mule red snout just for a moment before grinning at her before things moved on to a more somber note at the mention of her father and his mother. He didn't know much about her father and he couldn't say anything about her mother, considering he didn't know who she was either. Watching her features soften, though, he knew that his brief contemplation had been enough to lighten the mood, even if just a little bit. He stepped back after fetching the arrows, watching as she took up a stance of her own.

Never one to simply learn from words, Basilio let her arrow settle where it was meant to be while he notched his own and slowly took stance like she was trying to demonstrate. His actions coalesced with hers for the most part, until it came to the actual shooting. He drew back his arm, letting his string settle betwixt his fingers and aiming for the target once more, right along with her words, he loosed the arrow and watched as it sped toward the target, burying itself into the target, only lower along its edges than the center.

He let his bow arm fall ever so slightly to look back in Daeva's direction with those lavender specked eyes of his. "I know this is a bow and all, but I can't help but feel if your arm is locked all the time, the arrow's not gonna shoot right. Probably due to my sword fighting.. I keep letting it slack toward the end of my shot. Any tips?"

Loners
DEAD
Dread
Luperci Chaos Star icon
Little Pygmy Soldier
Let Me In
Killer in the making

POSTED: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:45 am

[ 426 ]

Even though she had offered to help him improve, it still felt strange teaching someone else the ins and outs of archery, something she did pretty much innately from the moment she was good enough at it not to need instruction anymore. Through sheer willpower, utter determination, countless hours of practice, and a little bit of luck, she had gotten to a point where everything about firing an arrow had become second nature to her. She didn't think about anything other than killing whatever her arrow was pointed at and the rest just happened; so having to think through all the steps from the very beginning again felt weird, so much so that she supposed – looking back at it now – she probably could have broken it down a bit more or explained it differently, but the end result would be the same.

Eyeing where his arrow had landed in comparison to hers, she nodded her head and took a moment to mull over his words. It seemed like he was approaching the bow like one would approach a sword or other bladed weapon, things that required a lot of fluidity and motion. Archery was different; it required stillness, patience, and resolve. "I think that's where your problem lies. To wield a blade your body has to be loose in order to attack, block, and parry. But using a bow is different." She moved to retrieve their arrows from the tree as she spoke, a hand rising to pluck the two projectiles from their spots embedded in the wood. Eyeing her own for a moment, she ran the pads of her fingers over the point to see if it was getting dull, noting it had a couple more uses.

"Your bow arm has to be locked to keep your bow steady while you draw your string and aim. Allowing your bow arm to lax may raise or drop the point of your arrow, making it hit high or low on your target." The huntress added as she returned to her place at his side a few paces away from the tree, her gaze returning to the diminutive male, her smile unfading. "Your last shot hit low because of that. Try again, keep your bow arm locked, and fine-tune your aim with your string arm. Remember your posture as well, keep your back straight and don't hunch your shoulders." She stepped back a bit to observe him more closely this time, her sharp coyjack maw moving in a motion to proceed as she returned his arrow to him.

Table by Eve

Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Eve
DRAGONBORN
YOL TOOR SHUL

Dead Topics