Sticks and Stones
The sticks and stones of the northern lands are where mountain meets marsh and sands. The terrain is shaped by the extremities of the Appalachian Mountains. Rolling hills and beaten earth evince ancient glacial movements. Jagged coastline and rocky beaches surround the Bay of Fundy, subject to the whim of the tides.
- Climate: The northern parts of Nova Scotia are cold and typically rather windy. The brunt force of the wind carries off the bay and into these territories more often than not; this region receives frequent, heavy rains.
- Geography: The Sticks and Stones area consists of low, hulking hills and flat plains. Marshes and lowlands make up the majority of Drifter Bay and the Waste; these areas are more prone to flooding than others. The inland forests are lush and dotted with rivers, lakes, and other water forms. The bay coast is typical of Fundy coasts, while the Atlantic Coast of the Quartz Shoreline is extremely varied, with an innumerable amount of small islands, peninsulas, and other coastal landforms.
- Demographics: The Atlantic Coast was populated with fishing towns and villages of varying size, while the fertile Drifter Bay marshes were dominated by farmland. Outside of these areas, human activity was sparse -- the Tobeatic in particular, a protected swath of forest covering the Dampwoods and Arachnea's Revenge, was not populated.
- Prey: Abundant, despite heavy canine predation. The inland forests are well-populated by prey of varying size and shape.
- Fauna: A vast number of rodent and small mammal species are found here; Stoats are unique to western Sticks and Stones. Whitetail and Moose are common, while Elk are considerably rarer. Ospreys and Bald Eagles are common through the inland forests, while the Harrier and Red-Tailed Hawk prefer the marshy, open areas.
- Flora: Underbrush includes Indian Tobacco, Lowbush Blueberry, and Swamp Rose. Switchgrass dominates in marshy areas. Jack Pines, Ironwood, Tamarack, and Black Ash are among the tree species found here.
- General Areas Information: Basic information about our setting and how to navigate the neutral territory forums.
- Areas @ 'Souls Wiki: The Wiki has various detailed information about the setting, including landmarks -- particular landforms, buildings, or other very small areas of note -- and past encounters in the area.
- Setting Questions? -- Check the FAQ!