and a season to sleep.
word count: 302

Cerridwyn listened intently as Harlowe explained the definitions of the words he loved so much. It was not lost on her that he was beginning to steal glances at her, and she smiled. A little progress at a time, it seemed. "Y'learn somethin' new e'ery day, it seems," she said. She hadn't been just trying to get him to talk when she'd said that these words were beautiful. They really were, though she'd never really thought of such a thing before. Words were words, and it had taken this conversation with the adolescent to make her think about them in such a way; words really could be beautiful or ugly. Perhaps she just didn't know enough of them to realize it before.

The collie-wolf chuckled as the male commented on her accent. It was something that had been brought up in almost every conversation she'd had since she'd come to Phoenix Valley; from Delwyn's blunt "You talk funny!" to Rurik's suave, "Where did you pick up this voice?" It truly showed how far away her homeland was. To her, it seemed that everyone else talked funny. But seeing as she was the only one as of yet who had this particular pattern of speech, she supposed it did make her the weird one. Odd, how when populations of wolves were isolated from each other their dialects evolved so differently. "Aye, tha' I do," she agreed. "Tha's b'cause I ent frae 'round 'ere. In Bhaile, e'eryone talks like I do. Bu' 'ere, e'eryone soun's kin'a off t'me, an I'm th' one wi' the funny accent." She shrugged her shoulders. "Why i's like tha', I dunno. I me' a wolf who wa'nt from 'ere nor Bhaile, an' 'e 'ad a diff'rent way o' speakin' altogether. I s'pose diff'rent places 'ave diff'rent ways o' talkin'."

Messages In This Thread