salvation à la mode
"My father had blue eyes, and so did one of my sisters," Geneva replied, and her voice was empty at that point. She did not know what she could do to make him believe. But it became clear soon enough that Jefferson did believe her now. And he posed the most logical question. Why had she waited to tell him about Pripyat? She felt a lump in her throat as she looked into the face of her estranged mate. There were so many things she had wanted to say the day that Pripyat had been born, but she had swallowed them down and left them mostly forgotten as her son took center stage in her life. She had not stopped loving Jefferson, but there had been so much fear to accompany the loss of his companionship, especially the night that she had called for him.

His voice was emotionless. Maybe he was having a difficult time processing all of this. Maybe he wanted no part in it. That had been Geneva's secret fear. The night of their final blow out, when she had told him that they had lost any children that might have existed between them, she had seen the love flash in his eye for a moment. Now things were different. It seemed like the weeks had turned into years, and he had grown cold like an old winter wind blowing across her life. But how could she blame him? They had had each other, and that had been enough and more for her.

"I was afraid," Geneva said simply, although she did not feel that this was simple at all. "First I was afraid that I would not make it back to Phoenix Valley in time for Pripyat to be born, and I was afraid when you didn't come. I've been afraid that if I left here, he'd be taken away from me...I was afraid of the way we left things. I still am...I'm afraid that we can't be fixed...that even I can't be fixed...I'm afraid, Jefferson, of everything."

Messages In This Thread