Adieu to the Vast Horizon
[html]

Marcus receded somewhat back into himself. Anu seemed uncomfortable. Perhaps she had been insulted by his forwardness? He had, on occasion, been known to overstep his bounds. He thought, at least he had said not said something too personal. A comment on her troubled past may have tipped the scales against him. Then he realized: Of course I would know of her spawn! A normal individual would be able to smell her even when the smell of the sea is so overwhelming! Marcus' heart dropped. He had lost his sense of smell years ago, in Spain. Bulls run rampant through the entire country, and when one wears a burgundy waistcoat, he may as well be walking on the sun. But that is a story for another day.

Since the accident in Spain, Marcus has had to rely on other mediums for perception. He found that the method of deduction (something he read about in a charming English book) works incredibly well in loo of a strong nose. He then heard Anu speak. Good. She had not completely dismissed his remark. But Italy! Oh, the times he had spent in Italy. "I would be honoured to eventually meet this Alphess of yours. Italy is a wondrous place." He began to reminisce with an overlay of melancholy. "With such buildings. Buildings which you could never imagine. Not in your wildest imaginings. Such ancient, and grand buildings, and yet such simplicity, and strength." He paused. "If you like, maybe I could tell you about it... But not today. Today, tea and stools."

Looking at Anu, she seemed to be awaiting a response. Marcus then remembered her previous comment. His heart sunk once more, and his brow receded. He had remembered his reason for coming. "What I am used to..." He continued. "My dear, I do not believe now is the time to tell my story. But alas--." A frown crossed the entirety of his face. He would have started to cry, if his tears had not dried up long ago. "Anu, I am dead. I cannot go back to 'where I'm used to', because there, they have killed me. I did not make this journey by choice. I had to leave. My family, my mate, my pups, my friends---." His head dropped, but not in sadness. There was more to the story, but he just could not yet bear to say it out loud. "I had to leave them. I came here seeking a new life. I came here to do some good." His face went straight. A choice had to be made. "If you do not see me fit to stay, simply say the word. This has been only the first place I have landed. I can travel elsewhere, if you so desire. But if your entire pack is as friendly, and as welcoming as you are, I see no reason why I would want to leave. I would like very much to meet this Italian Alphess of yours. And your pups, maybe I can teach them something. He hesitated. Anu seemed the peace loving type, but if Crimson Dreams held a pack, there must be more out there, and where there are more packs, there are vicious leaders who want to expand their holdings. "Back in my home... In all of Europe, really... They used to call me 'The Musketeer'". He realized the obscurity of his reference. "That's from a story book. The greatest swordsmen and gunmen in the land, were the Musketeers. Of course, I cannot go by that name anymore, but my skill with a sword and pistol are unmatched. I could teach everyone here of my past, and tell great stories to all, if you would have me." Realizing that he had truly overstepped his bounds, Marcus shut his mouth, and turned his head away. The tension in his mind grew even further as he glanced at his pistol, which was resting on the deck. If the rest of the pack was as pacifistic as Anu seemed, he might have to choose between a new home, and his old friend. he continued to stare at his gun, and seeing Anu's face out of the corner of his eye, decided to keep it hidden away. On the exterior, his body would have looked like that of a retired knight. Honourable, yet disappointed that he could do no more to serve his purpose. However, on the interior, his life was standing still as he awaited Anu's reply.

500+

<style type="text/css">
.marcus-a02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ADD8E6; letter-spacing:1px; }
.marcus-a02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.marcus-a02 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.marcus-a02 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://miserymagazine.webs.com/Marcus%20Table%202.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 300px 0px; font-family: Chaparral Pro, sans-serif; font-size:14px; color:#85ADAD; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread