I Am Always the One Who Calls
[html]
SSWM: 327 .

Saluce Trembley was staring down at her and Nayru stared back, her ruby gaze hard. The girl knew that she was not his equal, knew he had every right to deny her, to push her aside, to even go to Conor and tell him that his ward was out of place. Yet she felt justified. Something more than the hierarchy of Dahlia de Mai, her loyalty to Conor and those who served under Conor, and her deference to her mentor controlled her. Something told Nayru that this was okay, just this time, to defy him and she did not need to question that. Whatever she did she did so out of love and service to Dahlia de Mai. Including this. It was that which gave her the courage to meet his eyes as if they were equal, to stand tall despite her dwarfish size in comparison to his massive self.

And then something inside him clicked. He did not grow angry, as he might have, nor did his voice try to command her. Nayru noted as his hand reached out and a memory she had purposefully buried came back to her. He had grabbed her once, her large hands easily wrapping about her thin throat. He had held her cruelly when she was only a child and she had told him. I know you won't hurt me. Though the memory flashed before her she did not shy away, did not flinch when his hand met her flesh. He could have delivered unkindness, but his palm only rested under her chin, fingers stroked her lips. Nayru accept the embrace as she would have accepted penalty.

The brute did not reprimand her for her boldness, his voice was not unkind and Nayru could not argue with him any longer. Who had won it was impossible to say, they both had perhaps. She would leave and he would, in a few days, follow. "If you promise me, I will leave."

table by kahilli
[/html]

Messages In This Thread