A grand adventure is about to begin.
[html]

wc 709 YAAY! I officially completed SSWM!

The aroma of the soup was tantalizing and as Shawchert talked she drank more, leaving the bits of meat in the bottom of the bowl to be plucked out and chewed on one by one. The most important nutrients she was lacking was from meat. She did not have a stockpile of her own and had been sustaining herself on an unnatural diet of breads and other small hor dourves type foods. It was a poor diet for a healthy wolf, let alone a pregnant one. She didn't know how much she missed meat until it was in front of her now, and she plucked two chunks from the bowl and gulped them down, foregoing the chewing process. That was probably not a good idea, she thought, and promised herself she would properly chew the rest.

Her fingers snatched another morsel and popped it into her mouth as her eyes shifted back to Shawchert before a look of shock twisted onto her face. “Sky had a miscarriage?” She blurted, repeating Shawchert in utter horror. A half chewed bit of meat was wedged in her jaw, and in her surprise she failed to make good on her promise to herself and swallowed it whole. How could this be? Orin stood up, her cloak falling to the floor, but the sudden movement in her weakened state left her dizzy. Confused, the bowl slipped from her hands and the few pieces of meat she had yet to eat rolled on the floorboards.

Woozy, she pawed for the bed and sat back down. “Oh my god, I'm sorry.” She didn't know what she was doing. The woman leaned forward, hoping the sudden nausea would subside quickly and that her blackening vision would return. She stared forward with unseeing eyes for a moment until the hut slowly seeped back into view. She looked at the mess she made, dismayed. “Oh no,” she started as she looked at the wasted food. Well, she was feral at heart, it was still consumable. Still, this was no time to fret over the meal, it was only a few bites anyway. She looked at Shawchert, shaking her head softly in concern and confusion.

“What? I don't understand. I'm sorry, Shawchert. I didn't even know she was pregnant. When? How? When did... you and Sky...?” She looked at her fingers as though doing the math. Well, he sure didn't waste any time, did he? She almost said it out loud but caught the horrendous folly before it could leave her throat. If Shawchert had just lost pups it was not her business to poke at the circumstances of their conception. “That's... that's terrible. I don't know what to say. That's a quarter of the way through her pregnancy... I'm just a little farther along myself...” The thought terrified her and summoned all of her worst fears to the fore again. Her hand dropped to her belly and her palm rested there gently.

“If... if Sky lost your pups...” She looked at Shawchert. The words might be taken as an insult, though they were not meant to be. “Then what hope do mine have?” It was Sky, after all. A very caring, maternal Luperci woman of her pack. What's more, Sky was the one they were just considering asking to help care for Orin! Was it just the will of nature that she lost her children, or was Sky not as talented with the healing arts as Orin hoped? And how could she expect a woman who just lost her pups to care for her? Wouldn't it pain Sky to care for a pregnant woman, a constant reminder of her loss?

Shawchert said something more about their unborn pups, and Orin heard the words that would later register. It would be a relief that he did not want to hide his children from the pack. She would not have to make up a story about their father or lie to her pack mates, which would only be futile if they resembled him in the slightest. Yet she was so worried about the news about Sky that the words did not immediately click, and she did not have a response for them right away.

<style type="text/css">
.Orintrade b {font-weight:bold; color:#fda18c; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Orintrade-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#6b5a4a; text-align:center;}
.Orintrade p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 12px; margin:0px;}
.Orintrade {margin:0 auto; width:337px; background-color:#fbfdd6; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ntable.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fbfced; padding: 0px 0px 230px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#6b5a4a; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Orintrade-border1 {width:339px; border:1px solid #6b5a4a; margin:0 auto;}
.Orintrade-line1 {width:250px; border-bottom:1px solid #fbeec2; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread