M- Go Forth and Die
[html]

As she worked, she wondered. What had she originally seen in Cotl? Back then, he'd been different. Something had changed, leaving the German...wrong. She hadn't noticed before, willing to spend hours in his arms without concern. But when she caught him eating the corpse of a trespassing Luperci, she knew something was wrong. She'd missed some horrible offense that left her Cotl in some sort of mental distress. Her chest ached to think that she should have been there, to help him through whatever misfortune had befallen him. Again, she'd proved a failure.

His movement went unnoticed until she felt the pressure of his arms around her bony waist. For a moment, she tensed, ready to strike if he tried anything 'funny', but her muscles soon relaxed and she continued to work at cooking a meal for the two of them. She didn't answer his question at first. Why had she invited him there? For simple decency, of course. She didn't care about the soulless wolf he'd murdered. That was justice. She cared about the German's soul instead; God punished the wicked. Delicate fingers spun the meat to allow the other side to cook.

"Because no one deserves that treatment, Cotl. Not even them." Her usual classification for those who lived outside. Dogs, wolves, other packs. Even allies were listed beneath the umbrella term. Them. She said it with venom, disapproving of other purely by blood or affiliation. It was unfair, but she was not known to be fair. "God forgives, but I worry. I won't be the one to simply let you throw your eternal soul into damnation. I refuse." She didn't do it out of love. She didn't love him, not in the way she loved Ezekiel or Gabriel, but she did worry.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread