Mercantile Miscreance
Sedge watched the entire process closely. The use of iron, pipes, the salvaging of a perfectly--well, he didn't actually know anything about architecture, so he was clueless as to how stable or usable the neighboring structure had been which Barrett had apparently looted--anyway, the merchant didn't understand everything that was going on, only that this young wolf seemed better versed in the creation of axles than the jackal or whoever had actually constructed this wagon had been. Sedge smirked victoriously as he watched as the carpenter improved on his previous purchase, and for only a pittance of his wares. Truly, today was a fortuitous day. But what was to be expected of a master of making his own good fortune?

When Barrett had finished, and turned toward back his way, Sedge applauded aristocratically, one gaudy ring flashing in the sunlight as he laughed magnanimously at the sight of the repairs rendered. From somewhere within his quilts he produced a small satchel and scoop, with which he quickly and precisely measured out exactly one half of the poppy-seeds, somehow managing to work all three with just his two hands, feigning difficulty with the tools which perforce required that he hold the seed jar at a tilt--just so that four-sevenths appeared as only half a jar--and placed the seeds in the satchel with such fluidity of motion that the original jar lid was clamped down and stowed away within a single heartbeat, and the satchel held out to the expectant carpenter.

"For services dutifully and masterfully performed, Master Barrett. And! Lest I forget, not four but five of my legendary Dyakia, entrusted to your keeping from here on until such time as you should pass them onto another." He took a step closer, making as if to study his workmanship, but even his own discerning eye could see no flaw with the work, nor truly knew what to look for in scrutinizing the newly positioned axle. Nodding his satisfaction (for he had even divulged his relative inexperience with wood-working), he smiled widely, and patted Nettle's mane, before hitching him up again and readying to be off.

"By the way, sir, you wouldn't happen to know of any place nearby where a man with my wares could find business, do you? A population center, perhaps? A packland or village anywhere nearby who might benefit through the purchase of my treasures from beyond the sea?" It couldn't hurt to ask for directions while he was interacting with one of the locals.

Messages In This Thread