Tomorrow Never Knows
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... eowl-1.jpg); background-color:#531F11; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 15px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 350px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

In her arms, the pup began to stir again, her peaceful sleep disturbed by the stronger octave of her surrogate father. Perhaps the little one could sense something of amiss with her surroundings, no longer in the loving home across the river but now in the midst of stranger, larger creatures shrouded by an aura of sadness. She had grown accustomed to another kind of love, one forged by genuine want and maternal need. What had once driven this woman to take the girl was but a figment now as she looked to the stirring body with unfamiliar eyes… almost pained… forlorn.

“She sang to comfort you,” she sighed softly unable to keep her voice above a whisper. The energy, let alone will to speak had evaded her rendering her tones to nothing more than automatic results of an articulate tongue, void of emotion… just breath. Amidst her wallow she had heard the words of her mate, but could not relate them to her own experiences. The valiant effort of his father was an admirable feat worthy of recognition, so much more than a subtle tip of her muzzle in acknowledgement to his sacrifice. “The example left by your father is one worth the pursuit… but I doubt you well need to follow.” For if he were to play the valiant knight, willing to lay his own life for the sake of those he held dear… would there not need to be lives to protect first and foremost?

“But I am sorry you did not get to know your father,” she continued vacantly, carefully withdrawing the child from her chest to be taken by her mate. The growing sorrow compelled her to relinquish her hold of the now awaking child. Her arms and hands remained warmth from the small body emanating the unwelcomed sensation with every pulse. “Our culture did not permit us to acknowledge our parents as such. It was only our Shepard that claimed that title of parent and mentor. It was by none but a stroke of fortune that my sire would be by Shepard… and even then his children were never able to acknowledge him as such or take pride in his accomplishments and make them a part of themselves. Even if the circumstance was unfortunate, it is a blessing that you are able to acknowledge that man as your father and that the sacrifice he made was for you, his son.”

ooc: 406 words.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread