one eight seven
[html]

Kansas loved talking about his family. They'd surely had a rough start - Iskata and Firefly leaving, losing Phoenix and Icarus - but by now he had made peace with that. He was content with the family he had left. Of course, there were so many Sadiras running around - he knew few of them, and only snippets about them. It didn't matter to him, because he had Iskata and his sisters. He was so thrilled that Miss Marino wanted to know about them that he spent a few seconds getting the words right in his mind - not that that made any difference in the end. My mother, Iskata, and my sisters, Firefly and Ember do. They mean a lot to me - I hope you... I hope you meet them sometime.

He didn't mention his father and Icarus, simply because she had yet to answer his question and he was hungry for her own stories. As she spoke, he listened with a small grin; Italy? He didn't even know where that was. Kansas wouldn't have guessed a young, sweet girl like her would have had such adventures already. His grin faded as her voice caught, and Kansas saw the tears in her eyes. Her sorrow touched him somewhere that had until then been cobwebbed. He reached over and gently wiped a tear from her face with his thumb, not thinking about what he was doing.

But it was more important that she knew he understood. She cleared up as she finished; his response was heartfelt. I'm sorry about your mother, Savina. My, uh... brother, Icarus, died in the fire, so I know how it feels... He smiled a little; he'd meant it. And I'm amazed. You had to be... really brave, to go through all that... I'm glad you ended up here. He hoped his last words hadn't sounded stupid to her. Because he'd meant that, too.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread