Who's this queen of stranger places
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

500+

Cwmfen’s woad banded ears swiveled back bashfully as the other female laughed. But she knew that they were both laughing together, and that the other female did not laugh to mock her. This made her feel more comfortable.... It was strange, she thought silently to herself, that she herself should be behaving in such a lighthearted manor. While her belligerent tendencies were reined in with careful control (as was the way with those trained in battle) and her demeanor was usually portrayed as tranquil and taciturn, the black female rarely found time, need, or purpose in such play. Yet, on this cold, snowing day, by chance a white female had called to her. By chance, she found herself in this playful, unimposing situation. The white-eyed female found the circumstances to be unusual, but the circumstances proved to be pleasant as well. While she had been nervous before, now she was almost glad for the unexpected company. A genuine smile (though when were any of her smiles false?) danced upon her black lips as she considered the green-eyed female before her.

It seemed to her that music was to Mew that war was to herself. Mew wanted to play all instruments to create beautiful music, to communicate that which could not be communicated through words. Cwmfen wanted to know the arts of war to protect herself and others, to feel the thrill and rush of death brushing by. Understanding came into those white eyes as she smiled at the other female. "I wanted to learn the flute," Cwmfen remarked quietly. She had simply not found the time, and now she figured it too late. Her voice was her only instrument, and it was plain and simple, without the special adornments that Mew had applied at the feast, even while merely humming. Her voice was like her, she thought suddenly. "But I never had the time." Or perhaps she had never made time for it, for her passion had been—and still was—with war. But now that she was here, she did have some time on her hands. Perhaps she would ask Mew later to help her with that task.

As the white female began to explain what the markings meant, the warrior walked around to stand behind the chair of the piano, yet not directly behind the superior, observing the marks that were indicated. Cwmfen did not quite understand everything that Mew said, but she listened with genuine interest. When Mew had finished, Cwmfen responded with a quiet and thoughtful, "I’ll say," as she leaned forward to better see those black dots and lines. "I’ve never seen anything like this before.... Where I hail, the music is learned by ear and soul." Because she was from that culture, Cwmfen could not see the necessity of creating such an alphabet, especially because she felt that one could get lost in the reading of it (she herself was doing just that as she studied it silently) when the true importance was in the soul. But, if such things were learned and memorized, personal deviations could be made, she decided at length, nodding imperceptibly to herself in approval. "But I suppose this would help to immortalize a song...." The woad marked female turned to look at the white female, marveling at her diligence. If she could read that, then truly she must be at the top of her trade. The black female did not think that she would need to learn that strange, dotted alphabet if she learned the flute, only how to produce the sound. But that would be later.

Now, the matter of the piano was at hand. The female wanted to better understand the passion of her friend, and so she studied the paper a bit more before asking, "Can you play what’s on this paper?" And her tail wagged several times, for she was curious to know what secrets that seemingly meaningless paper could hold.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread