don't hold your eyes so low/as if you didn't know
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ump/12.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
There was something about him that engaged her. There was something about the sound of his voice that made her listen just a little harder when he spoke, to capture every nuance and word he'd share. It was frustrating, to a point. Although she had only seen him once before, she knew with such certainty that it would be so easy for him to clam up, bite his tongue, and walk away. It seemed like the natural thing for the one-eyed man to do.

And it nearly drove her to the point of madness that she couldn't seem to leave well enough alone. It shouldn't matter to her whether or not he spoke. Geneva loved to listen, sometimes going so still that she even left the sound of her own heartbeat behind. But this went deeper than that, so much deeper. She couldn't seem to melt into the background, as she usually instinctively would. There was a part of him that called to her, that spoke in tones of silence. An enigma, a magnetism, an... indefinite something that she couldn't describe. He pulled at her curiosity like little else ever had before.

She found it easier to smile now, despite how wrung out she had felt before. "With such high expectations, I'll have to work not to disappoint you." His words should have sounded weary, would have normally made her self conscious. But she found that she felt anything but insecure, a quiet confidence infusing her words and body. This situation was so tenuous - she was painfully aware of that.

Each encounter she had with Jefferson had showed her, without failure, that his face could change in the space of heartbeats. He had startled her, terrified her. But the worst thing was that he had ensnared her, captured her attention in such a way that she had to fight to look away. What made him tick? What lay beneath the exterior? Was there a man somewhere within, sides of him hidden away, untouched by the sun? Looking at him now, she believed there were depths that had never been plumbed, heights never reached. She wanted to know. She wanted him to know what it was like, to have that knowledge.

She shook her head a little, casting her own eyes to the soil beneath their feet. "Jefferson," she said, after a moment. "Will you tell me a little about Phoenix Valley? Those here, how you live, where you live...how I could be useful."
[/html]

Messages In This Thread