Older dreams and deeper nightmares
The female was skilled. Small though she was, she managed to enter his guard and strike him. There was more meat on his ribs than his bony arms implied, but still little enough that the blow caused pain. The creature didn't roar, it didn't flinch. Instead, it backed away one long stride, its eyes having not even blinked, it stood straight up, and for the first time, the light touched his chest and belly to expose...ruin. Brutal scars criss-crossed his flesh, clearly left by claws, and for the finer lines, evidently steel or glass implements. The moment seemed to freeze...indeed, this dream battle seemed sluggish by comparison to one in the waking world.

"This body has sustained grievous injury in the past. You seem able, but I have learned that I am inordinately difficult to kill." The sun seemed to flicker in the sky, then sink, casting long shadows from the two wolves onto the sheer face of one of the decrepit buildings. There, her shadow became that of a taller, broader man, wielding a long, two-handed blade. The blade drove into the monster's shadow, and through, impaling it before her shadow wrenched the sword free, and the beast fell off the wall.

"My mission is not well understood by those afflicted by the disease. Indeed, they resist at every opportunity. Sometimes, their resistance has come close to succeeding, but never completely." The sun skipped rapidly through the sky, years passed in a moment, and the man her shadow had become was murdered from behind from the very monster he had lain low.

"My creator did not know of me for many years after my birth. When he discovered me, he named me VoidFane, and attempted to destroy me." The wraith wolf paused then, and was silent for several heartbeats. "He failed." With that, the monster ceased his speeches and started forward, one claw lashing out, then another. The pace of the dream began to hasten...VoidFane would attempt to assert reality into this plane, and kill her in an arena that both she and it knew best.

Messages In This Thread