breathe in
"Well," Geneva said ponderously, well aware of the curiosity on Miriette's face. "I never knew any different. I grew up living in buildings." Geneva had grown up far from here, in a place quite different. She cast her eyes around their surroundings. There were trees, flowers, and sweet grasses all over. Where she had lived as a child, the only green she had known was the weeds that grew up from the cracks in the cement. Here, there was natural all around. She had seen many ruins in her reluctant travels on her way here that had been taken over by nature. Trees twisted to reclaim the heights, overrunning buildings with their branches. In fact, only a short distance from here, the city of Halifax was quite similar, a surreal marriage of life and death, nature and buildings.

Her lime green eyes wondered back to ponder the black female. "I feel safe there," she concluded. She didn't distrust nature, not exactly. As a wild being, she felt some sort of connection to the peace of their surroundings. But she couldn't help distrusting the shadows that crept within the green and brown. The stillness of the air could be deceptive. When she was behind four, solid walls, enclosed within that comfort, she felt safe enough to let her guard down.

Messages In This Thread