His dream away from reality
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... rncopy.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

I’m just going to wrap this one up, if that’s okay with everyone. I’ll close this and archive it on Monday. PM me if you would like to add in one reply before I do. This will segue directly into this thread, ^=^
500+

Holding the pup in silence, the white orbs sought the wolf. She did not answer the inquiry of those young eyes. It was not her place to know why, only that it was. There was a brief moment of silence in which she wondered. She wondered if he would remember what she had entrusted in him long ago upon the boarders of this pack when they had met as strangers. Her hesitation arose from a more recent memory in which the male had seemed to have forgotten. She was not hurt by that forgetfulness, for surely she had not allowed that past to rule the present. But she wondered if her answer would be lost upon him. "He...came for me," the quiet melody replied, that alto almost a whisper. Her words were slow, not filled with fear but with that simple quiet mixture of all emotions that seemed to always riddle her voice. Cruel, he had thought of her, cold and unemotional, like her father. Perhaps he would accuse her again, but the warrior’s mind was elsewhere.

She could feel a tenseness suddenly in her body, not everywhere, but somewhere. For a moment, her mind returned, and she realized that her jaws were clenched against each other. Her eyes watched the pain and disbelief that crossed her friend’s body and mind. She saw what her failure, what her inability to protect this wolf, had done. It brought not only the death of one body, but the pain of another. It brought horror to a child who should not see such things. The black female had allowed her fear to create an obstacle in her life. Since the moment she had fled from Caledonia, she had sought to avoid that obstacle, and now that obstacle, a mere rock, had grown into the shape of an insurmountable mountain. She stared upon its face now and steeled herself against it. She could be better than this. She could wipe away her selfish fears. She could have prevented this. But the black wolf was not one who dwelt long upon regrets. She knew only now what she must do, and was now moved to do it.

Rising, the woman walked slowly over to Sankor as if afraid that he would run from her. "Sankor," the melody called again, the white orbs demanding that he meet her gaze. "You must lead Catalyst to her home." It was a command now from a higher rank. I will take Ril’o, she said in silence. Kneeling slowly, she lowered the pup to the earth near the adult’s feet, careful to keep the girl’s eyes turned away from the scene of death that now lingered there like a bad dream. The woad bound fingers brushed through the girl’s fur for a final time before she rested her hand upon the male’s shoulders, in a comforting way, or in a way in which she sought to be comforting. Turning and rising, she returned to the body, lifting the golden wolf gently in her arms, the blood dripping from him but no longer flowing from the wound for the heart that had been stilled. In silence, without looking back to the two, she carried the body to the Church.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread