i don't feel the same
[html]

Boredom began to cause his eyes to wander. They settled on an oddly coloured stone across the stream, and there they rested, tracing the strange patterns and colors, until he noticed the shape blur into one small mass of gray, blue, and black. His thoughts began to wander to the strange realms of sleep, and he thought he saw flashes of a face similar to his own… Iskata’s? Like the stone that had caused him to drift away, her face was blurred and unclear, which bothered him. He opened his eyes again and shook his head, clearing it of the tiredness that had suddenly come upon him. How frustrating – he still got so tired. And that meant he was still a child!

He sat up at the sound of snapping twigs - the stride he heard was unmistakably his father’s. It seemed as though it had been a long while since he’d properly spoken to Phoenix. And he didn’t blame his father at all. A lot had been going on lately: the avalanche, and his getting pneumonia (Kansas still hadn’t figured out exactly how that had happened). Then there were the usual difficulties of winter… of course, he had nothing to compare this winter to, but he had noticed that things seemed a lot harsher. Kansas had had plenty of opportunities to speak meaningfully to his father, but, not wanting to pester, he had passed them all up.

He turned to face Phoenix, and immediately the huge mocha form and gentle voice soothed the boy. Kansas smiled a little, gazing at his father solemnly. Now seemed like the perfect time for Kansas to talk to his papa about the things that were troubling him."A lot…" He didn’t want to totally unload… unreasonable babbling wasn’t something Phoenix needed right now. "I miss Momma. And …I had a question."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread