afterglow
[html]

Her words soothed him. The relief was sudden and strange, but Hybrid welcomed it in a way he never had. She was a Lykoi; there was no way Kaena could desire this woman. She was Kaena’s own blood, so the matriarch must have been keeping Vieira here until she could find herself her own cave or suitable living arrangement. His lip twitched in contentment, glad to hear the woman’s words. For a moment, he did not mind that he was interacting with a female that was not Kaena. However, that feeling was quickly replaced with resentment: why had Kaena failed to inform him about the presence of a family member in her home? If Hybrid was to adequately protect the leaders of Inferni, he would also have to protect their family or those who played an important role within the clan. Although Halo had a greater duty to Kaena than Hybrid, he took his role as Hydra seriously. No harm could come to Gabriel’s family.

He considered questioning her relation to Kaena and Gabriel, but did not think the information would be all that interesting. Whatever she was, she had the word Lykoi in her name, and as the mother of Gabriel, coyotes bearing the name Lykoi were important, somehow. In some way. If he did not justify it that way, he would fail to uphold his role in Inferni and would dedicate himself solely to Gabriel. Somehow, he suspected that would displease the Aquila, so he weaved elaborate webs of relations to ensure his dedication.

Hybrid frowned, wondering why this woman was acting so strangely. Her voice was soft and her entire body was awkward. Could she possibly be uncomfortable here? In Kaena’s den, or interacting with Hybrid? He was still rather perplexed over his previous ideas of their relationship, so this only confused him further. He did not understand the complexities of social interaction; he understood the simplicity of the battlefield. He still did not know why anyone, be it himself or others, sought out the company of others. When Vieira asked him if he would like to wait, he did not have an answer for her.

“I don’t know,” he replied honestly. “I don’t know why I’m here,” he stated, flicking his ears forward, annoyed at himself for revealing this. He opened his mouth to add something else, but he did not know what to say. Social situations were strange and foreign to him.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread