i am sand
WC: 516

[html]

Attila's response only affirmed Tayui's suspicions. Her two daughters, though both kind and sweet, were as different as Attila and Claudius. Where Noir was gentle and caring, Ocèane had been rambunctious and full of adventure. Though they both had enjoyed their own respective "adventures," the manner had differed quite a lot. The fact that Attila had heard nothing from Ocèane only served to solidify Tayui's thoughts about her daughter. The girl was a free spirit; Tayui had caught her trying to sneak out of AniWaya, and had intervened in a riverside near-disaster, so she knew a bit about her daughter. She suspected Oce was still out experiencing what the world had to offer. She could only hope the chocolate-furred girl would return.

Attila tried to offer his consolations, but in the end, Tayui knew he was just trying to comfort her. His good intentions rang hollow, since they both knew she would return when and if she wanted to. Tayui could only hope to hear from her sometime and know that she was alright.

“Hmm,” she replied, offering nothing more than a small shrug. She gave him one last warm nuzzle before sitting back on her haunches. She gave him his space, aware that she could be over-protective sometimes.

His question, however, caused her warm smile to fade into a small frown. How could she answer something like that? Attila probably suspected his father was just a vagabond male or an ex-mate. She could not tell him that his father was actually a fanatical, sadistic, twisted, vile man. Especially not after she had uttered wishings of his destruction. He would resent her for avoiding the question, but there was no way she could tell them now, if ever. The Soul side of their family was dead and buried; he had no place in their lives. The only one she would ever introduce them to might be Colibri, their grandmother. They had a right to know her if she ever returned. But she intended to keep her children's lineage a secret for their sake and her own.

“Because...” she began, her frown deepening. “He's not your father like most fathers are. You descend from him, but he's not your dad.” She sighed, trying to figure out a way to explain this without giving away who Attila's father was. Tayui wanted to explain how Attila's father had been a small part of a long process, and that Haku's involvement was minimal. That Haku was by no rights their father. That Dawali, of anyone in the tribe, had perhaps earned the title of some sort of surrogate or honourary father and that Haku had earned nothing. That the one person Tayui had truly loved was dead, and if Attila should have ever had a second parental figure, it should have been Shaeniire. “I never loved him. I loved someone, years ago. They should have been your father. They're dead now, and I wish they could have been. Your father doesn't deserve a son like you,” she finally concluded. She didn't know how to say it any other way.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread