No Cars Go.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... erries.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width:325px; border:1px #AD0B12 solid; font-size: 10px; line-height:12px;">

’Tis no problem! Bah, not a great post from me. 459.

A school? Nayru’s eyes narrowed at the building. She knew and understood the word, but the concept still seemed silly to her. Humans had taught their young by gathering them all in one big building and talking at them. How was anyone to learn anything that way? One learned by doing, by experiencing, by making mistakes and then fixing them. Bris taught her to read, Saluce taught her to fight and use weapons, and often she just taught herself, but in all those cases she was actively learning. Never did she just sit and listen, Nayru did, or attempted to do, whatever it was she was learning. To learn in large groups meant that even if they practice their skills, the teacher would have to split time between many students. No, one on one was best, and Nayru was blessed to have so many willing teachers within her life. Still, Anu was right, a school meant books and at this Nayru grinned and readily followed the Dreamer.

I’m just learning to read. Nayru admitted this freely, finding no shame in any lack of ability she had. Certain souls might be born with more potential than others, but if one did not work hard to build and refine those skills it all meant nothing, and Nayru knew this. My friend, Bris, is teaching me. And if she learned that then a wealth of knowledge was at her finger tips. So much information could be found in books, and reading unlocked it, although she would still have to train herself to effectively use such knowledge. Reading how to perform a surgery was the same as someone telling her how to, she would have to actually perform it to understand how and why body parts worked and how to fix them. Although, Nayru had no plans on perform surgery, that was better left to those who had experience in such tasks.

As the came up to the building she turned toward Anu, the kind woman seemed to not to mind speaking with her and Nayru felt at ease to ask any questions that popped into her head, which was always a lot. How did you learn to read? It had never occurred to her to ask Bris, or Saluce, or anyone how they had come about the skill, she simply imagined others had taught them, as Bris taught her, but then who was the first one to learn? Was it a skill some taught to themselves, slowly decipher the strange symbols into an understandable language? And why do you read? The latter question was tack on as Nayru opened the door, the stale air rushing at them, crimson eyes trying to adjust to the reduced light and still focus on Anu’s face.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread