Promises, Promises
[html]

ooc: Meep, sorry for the delay, Shaw!

Skye felt terrible. Guilt threatened to eat her inside out until she remembered that it wasn't her fault that the humans died - she was just a product of that, along with other Luperci. A phoenix rising from the ashes, as someone in one of her books may say. Still, she didn't like the thought that the humans had all died out. It was eerie - strange. Made her feel like an alien in a world she thought she knew, but didn't. Who knew what these humans thought and did?

And yet...

She looked down at the journal in her hands. She flipped it open to the first page, dated over twenty years ago. She read it aloud:

"'The crops are growing exceptionally well. The mayor of the town wants everyone to chip in, so little Jack decided to plant some seeds he found in the garden. He's growing up fast; I can't wait to see the day he becomes a man.'" The rest of the entry went on like this. "This entry must have been from before the disease," she whispered.

She flipped to the end of the journal. The pages were blank. She flipped backwards until she saw a final journal entry, dated around nineteen years ago. She read it out loud:

"'It's going around. There's nothing for it. Jack's gone. My wife's gone. In two day's time, I'll be gone too. I can feel it. It's a sick feeling, like something's not quite right. Everyone's gone. I'm one of the only ones left. In the world. It's over.'"

Skye could feel the desperate loneliness of the man inside his journal entry. How horrible it must have been, to lose your family to a disease that would wipe out your entire species and then bring rise to a new species almost just like it. It was strange, it was unusual...and it was sad.

<style>
.sunskye p {padding:5px 5px; text-indent:25px; margin:0px;}
.sunskye b {color:#431200; font-family:georgia; font-weight:bold;}
.sunskye-text {margin:12px 7px 10px 40px; padding:5px; width:350px; height:200px; overflow: auto; background-color:#fff; -moz-opacity: 0.7; opacity: 0.7; filter: alpha(opacity=60); border: 1px solid #431200;}
.sunskye {width:451px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/jzaams.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; font-family: georgia; font-size:12px; color:#7E0E00; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.1px; text-align:justify; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #C78208; min-height:339px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread