let the sun shine
[html]

Considering creating a happy dance in thanks of the table, James. 595 words

Decisions, decisions. Ascher could eat the rabbit now, and maybe that would warm him up a bit after the interminable swim had left him with just shivering to keep him from freezing. Or he could skin it like Saul had done, roast it on a fire that Gideon was making, and eat hot food with his brothers like a normal adult-like wolf. Taking the cues from around him, Ascher tugged at the leg of his rabbit long enough to separate the fur from the meat - with just a little meat coming up along with it. The other side came apart even easier, although Ascher's temptation to gnaw the leg off was nearly unavoidable. Imitating his brother, the young male pulled the soon-to-be hossenffeffer's fur over its back and off of its head. Rather brutish, but Ascher found he sort of liked the hands-on approach to preparing his food. He looked at Saul and envied the speed and skill with which his brother had skinned his rabbits, but then again, he had more practice. Ascher stood and shifted from foot to foot in an effort to get warm while saying, ”Here you go Saul. You sure did get those done fast, maybe you could teach me some more about all that - hunting and whatnot, I mean.” It would be nice to learn, and Saul was an excellent teacher; he never did anything for someone when he or she could do it, instead.

He nodded at his Saul and jogged over to Gideon to check on the progress of the fire. It seemed to have started, but was taking its time to get really going. Nonetheless, ”Oh wow, Gideon! Thanks for this - it's so cold right now... I thought the swim would get me frozen solid." He patted the eldest Stormbringer brother on the back exuberantly and ran off of the short beach just to keep moving. Well, that and to get away from the thoughts of inadequacy that he had whenever he saw wolves more talented than Ascher was. Which was often. He needed to get himself out of his rut and become a real Dahlian who could pull his own weight. As if on a divine cue, Ascher looked down near his leg and sniffed the air. It had a bitter, yet fresh scent to it and Ascher saw a plant brushing his arm. Had he had knowledge of such a thing, he would have known the plant to be Rosemary, which should not have been flourishing this late in the year, but there it was in its last breath before hunkering down for winter. Ascher plucked a sprig of it and tasted it.

His initial reaction was to spit it out as the bitter flavor at the beginning was a little off-putting. But the citrus seeming taste that followed was delightful. Ascher snagged a couple branches of it and ran back to the now growing fire. The warmth gave the youth an idea as he tossed one of his plants into the fire. Ascher smiled broadly as the smell mingled well (to him, but that was the smell of satisfaction, too) with the burning wood and subtly changing flame colors. ”I found this plant over there, and I think it'll make the rabbits taste better. Want to try?" Ascher waggled his eyebrow ridges at his siblings as he wrapped a sprig of his plant around one rabbit. Maybe nature had more to offer, and Ascher thought that if his rabbit tasted better than his brothers', he would love to find out.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread