The Devil's water ain't so sweet
[html]
SoSu makes the repetitive start

He listened to her explain her lineage and her relations, and he just nodded along, not really even reacting to the fact that she was related to Ruri but had been mothered by Alaine. How did that work out? Should not the two half sisters have grown up together? What happened to cause Ruri's parents to abandon her, and then pretty much abandon Sylvie, since she had been raised by another in the end. What did that say about their mother, or father if that was whose blood she had racing through her veins. Strel was by no means a traditional kind of guy, playing loose, fast, and carelessly, but he hated seeing children raised away from their parents, and he hated seeing bad parents. His had been decent, for all the crap the pack that protected them caused. A parent's job was to raise a child right in their minds. But Strel was not fond of the things parents did. Like beatings, punishments, cruelty, and anything that really went better with vicious criminals than young pups being raised at the teat. Poor girls. How hard had that been, whatever it had been?

"Ah! Then I do know you, of sorts. Alaine spoke of you often, and kindly too. I did not know you left, nor the other kiddo she had with her. I figured you guys just kind of moved somewhere else, since I never hear you. Is that what happened? Why'd you leave here?" he asked, curious to a fault and tactless as a child. And Ruri, Alaine, and Sylvie were all of the same breed of dog, a race, species, whatever, that Strel marveled at for their variety. So many, and plenty he had never seen or heard of, he bet, based on the ingenuity of the humans. They sure loved to see what happened when things bred. "But yes, you do seem alike, more so to Ruri, but I guess that's because you are related by blood," he added, sticking out his tongue at the redundancy of his words.

Rolling his eyes, he gave a sigh, as though he were teaching a child something basic, and easy to grasp. "Rum. Human drink, it's still good." Of course it was still good, this kind of alcohol always kept well, especially if still vacuum sealed decades later. This happened to be a twenty-five year old bottle. The girl took the bottle and a gingerly taken sip. Strel grimaced at her comment, knowing that it was a bad idea to be the one to give Alaine's once-upon-a-time ward the pretty potent stuff. She would surely beat him with her medicine bag if she saw what he was doing and demand he not be the source of poison. But if Sylvie was out and about in the world on her own, she was old enough to make her own choices, and if she wanted to drink, then by the gods, she could drink if she so wanted. Strel was not one to stop a person from doing what they wanted, unless it was clear they were going to pass out with more swigs. "How'd you like it? Good? Bad? Reserving judgment until you take a real sip of it?"

<style type="text/css">
.sanctuary b {font-weight:bold; color:#b1f4ff; letter-spacing:.5px; }
.sanctuaryooc {font-style:italic; padding: 10px 31px 5px 31px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;color:#4f7eba;}
.sanctuary p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 31px 5px 31px; margin:0px;}
.sanctuary {margin:0 auto; width:420px; background-color:#001650; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/ ... uary-2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #052d61; padding: 0px 0px 68px 0px; font-family: Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#a1c5f1; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread