Tracks in the snow
Nian turned to face the approaching wolf and gave him a smile. "Good morning! I'm Nian Redtree," he said brightly. "Indeed I am looking for something... someone, I mean. I thought I'd try hunting today, to see if I could help with the tribe's winter stores, but I'm, uh... Well, I don't think I can drag an elk back to the village alone. I was looking for a hunting partner."

So much for sounding capable, he thought. He glanced at the knife the other wolf was starting to put away. The long blade looked like the sort of knife you would use as a weapon, not just a piece of cutlery, and Nian wondered if perhaps this wolf was who he was looking for. Although the new wolf seemed apologetic about it, Nian had been around similar knives enough in his childhood to not be spooked by it. He had never used one, having had to earn it and not being particularly aggressive, but he had a certain respect for people who could handle a hunting knife well. He perked his ears, growing more enthusiastic about his plan for the day, and asked, "I don't know how busy you are, but if you're free, would you maybe be up for joining me? I could use the help."

Messages In This Thread