So What If It's Overcast?
[html]

Read and write, huh? What she wouldn't give to learn that. Sadly, she had to admit to herself that word of mouth--although not always the most reliable--was something that everyone had in common. She had met many wore wolves that couldn't write, more than those who couldn't speak. And even though she did want to learn scripture, the time to learn a new language--for that's what it could be called in itself--would take more time than she had to spare on anything other than what she was and would plan. She nodded at the golden-black wolf, running the palm of her hand over the rough table. "Only way to get it up. I've actually fixed a sort of pulley system for the water buckets, too. It's not anything beautiful or ingenious like our craftsmen can do, but its basic enough that even I can do it." The warmth that had risen from the fires below had become trapped in the hut, kept further by the clay walls and candles lighting the room. She was planning on actually making a fire in a clay pit or metal bowl, for the center of the room, but it made her nervous that she might fall asleep with it untended. She would find the proper equipment soon enough; it only irked her a little that she had not found something suitable before winter came. Ah well, what's done is done.

His admission from his lack of the fire tending knowledge did not surprise her, and she was neither disappointed or very surprised. His language--Tray...? Trei...?--while a familiar sound, did not ring any bells with her vocabulary. Then again, neither did his name, nor most of the language in AniWaya when she first arrived. "I'll make you a deal, then. In return for you helping me with the observatory foundation, I'll teach you some of the lore while we work; that way, both of us win." It was an unfair trade, on all accounts, but he had kindly offered his services first, and then again when she had let him consider consolation. Standing up from her short sit, she went behind the curtain that was her 'room' to ravage through her piles of 'treasures' for some ratty paper she had used for impromptu-blueprints. The space behind the curtain looked more cramped than it was due to the pile of blankets that she often heaped on herself while in the hammock, hanging shards of glass and shiny bits kept suspended by string, and a series of shelves made from twigs bound together with yet more string. It was a smart way to use menial resources without depriving the pack, and it was also easier than lugging up something impossibly heavy by herself, such as an actual armoire.

She returned to the table and spread the paper out on top. The paper was browned from age and had seen repeated use on its reverse side from chart scribbling, all of which were so close together that Ralla couldn't decipher which was connected to which anymore. Therefore, she had deemed the use of the paper 'used' enough that she could draw on it for blueprints (such was her ranking of 'the purposes of paper'). "This is what I had planned for the base," she said, tracing the outline with her finger. "A hut formed almost just like this one, but, uh...less cluttered..." She winced, recalling the state of the space behind the curtain. "The base has to be a little sturdier, I think, because it's a little higher up, but... I honestly don't know all the details. I was never formally taught how to make a house, so all this is just like a child making a toy one." She had learned making huts as a basic tribe skill, but it had gotten buried under the 'more important' duties she was being trained in, so she never really learned the fine details. If J'adore knew more, or if he could offer tips, she would gratefully take them.

Moon walks. "Moon talks." Moon thinks.

<style type="text/css">
.rallagift b {font-weight:bold; color:#F8F6F3; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.rallagift-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:verdana, serif; font-size:10px; color:#F8F6F3; text-align:right; }
.rallagift p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 8px; margin:0px;}
.rallagift {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#040303; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... astars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:11px; color:#C66A26; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]

Messages In This Thread