Smoke Signals
Wahoo! (389)

[html]

Claudius didn’t want to say “you’re welcome” in response to her thanks, knowing it was not something you wanted to welcome someone for. But he still felt a little guilty for not saying anything at all – that would almost seem rude. But at the same time, Claudius recognized that rudeness and politeness were not really that relevant in a conversation like this. It was too morbid. So instead, he offered her a quick jerk of his head.

“Yeah,” he replied quietly. There. Done and over with. He didn’t want to talk anymore, not about this, not again. He shut his mouth closed with a distinct snap and kept it closed, not trusting himself with words. Somehow, he had managed to not stutter but he didn’t think this stutter-free streak would continue. He glanced over to his sister – now that his eyes were open – and saw that she was feeling just as bad as he was. She wiped her eyes. The action surprised Claudius, since he hadn’t expected her to cry – not when he had always cried enough for the two of them. Perhaps they had both changed a bit. Perhaps they would continue to change with Noir’s death hanging over their heads.

Claudius perked up his ears a bit when Oce suggested a burial. He didn’t really know anything about burials or ceremonies or death. That had always been Momma’s job – she had been the Kunikoti and had intended to become a Gola Watsi before she’d given birth to four puppies. Claudius remembered Momma telling him all about her interactions with ghosts and had always been fascinated by it. But Tayui wasn’t here anymore, so he supposed they would have to find Dawali and ask him. Dawali knew everything about all the AniWayan ceremonies, especially since there wasn’t a high-ranked Ookah.

“W-w-well, auntie Aurèle buried h-h-h-her. B-b-but I don’t k-n-n-ow if N… s-s-she ever g-g-got a c-c-c-eremony. We’d have to a-ask Dawali. He w-w-would k-know what-t-t to do-o. But I th-th-think i-t-t would be a g… good idea.” He reached out with his right arm and extended it toward Oce, holding his palm up. He took a few steps closer and put his hand near Oce’s, hoping to hold her hand in his. Maybe he could help her feel a bit better even if he already felt so sad.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread