The work was hard and the voyage was long
[html]

My biblical analysis is probably a little off. But Ambrose isn't exactly the religious type, so it works.

Although he lacked the dexterity of his younger self, Ambrose had only recently left a lifetime of hauling sails and cargo, and he still had much of his old strength. Rolling up his sleeves, he started to help the young man with the work, taking the other end of the saw and falling into rhythm with him.

"It comes from the Greek, I think," he said, in answer to the comment about his name. "And your name is Saul, eh? Like the Biblical king. Can't say he was a very good king, but at least he was a fine warrior... And of, course, he did pave the way for David, the slayer of giants. So all in all, not a bad name at all. Although, Stormbringer..." He winked at the younger wolf. "With a name like that, just count yourself lucky you live on land. Mind if I ask your profession, mister Stormbringer?"

Ambrose listened to the rest of Saul's description of the land of Dahlia de Mai and nodded when he heard something that interested him. It seemed that much of the human settlements were still intact here, which made the old dog feel optimistic about the quality of life in the pack's lands. And the hint of an island was just mysterious enough that he felt inclined to imagine sailing to it, at least for a day trip.

"An island, eh? How do you get to it? Are there perhaps boats left in the harbours that you can use? There wouldn't perhaps be any sailors in Dahlia, would there?" This long stream of questions came, thankfully, during the rest period Saul initiated. He would have felt a bit guilty if he did not give the wolf time to reply to his inquiries. "And you say that there is a vineyard? Do you cultivate wine there?"

Giving time for Saul to answer all his questions, he examined the work they had done so far on the tree. A few more inches, and they would probably be ready to tip it. Although the tree was not extraordinarily large, it was still enough where the dog was considering offering his help bringing it back to Saul's home. He had a bit of rope somewhere in his bag which he could at the very least offer the young man to use in hauling the wood back with him, as he reasoned that he was probably not very welcome within the pack's borders. "What are you using this wood for, if I may ask?"

<style type="text/css">
.ambrose-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#4f7fa7; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ambrose-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.ambrose-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.ambrose-a01 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#c2d0d3; background-image:url(http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g37 ... table1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 296px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#222e3e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread