waiting on a winter raven
[html]
so sorry for the delay. my life's been a busy mess!

Galilee wasn't the most practiced at making small talk with strangers. Her parents had both been world-weary wanderers, adept at meeting friends and making conversation wherever their four feet might roam. With the birth of their children, however, they had settled and an entire lifestyle had changed. Presumably, the idea was to offer the stability and security of a large and well-meaning family. Galilee's upbringing had indeed been secure and stable, but it had also been limited to the lands and peoples of her birth pack. Her parents had done their best to educate their children about the world beyond, even taking them on trips past the borders; but there was a certain limitation to learning in an exhibition-style manner. As Galilee grew older, she took to ranging on her own, but even those trips were short and close to home.

And so, despite her initial greeting and general lack of shyness, she paused a moment before responding to savor her new-found freedom. She could talk to a dozen anybodies without her family's comment: no uncle to urge caution, no mother to encourage. It was a wonderful feeling, and slightly terrifying, and it made her feel, for that brief moment, slightly light-headed. "I was just making conversation," she replied, "although the view isn't half bad either." Like her companion, she did not elaborate on whether she meant the scenery or his physique. Her blue-gray eyes scanned both in one arching sweep, and it was impossible to gauge where, exactly, her gaze lingered.

"Nice to meet you Alaki." She was closer now, a distance at which they might converse comfortably; but not so close as to be threatening or be threatened. "My name's Galilee. I'm a bit of a new arrival -- just traveled through some of the old lands north of here, and then made my way south along the river." A bit too much like small talk for her tastes, but she had been traveling for more than a fortnight. It seemed like a logical thing for her to bring up.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread