revel in the frailty of greatness
[html]

http://avatars.ourdarkarts.net/souls/others/tay_top.jpg) no-repeat; width: 400px; height: 100px;"> 

603 words. Don't feel obliged to match my length! (:

She nodded quickly; exuberant that Pilot liked her ideas. Her smile quickly turned to a thoughtful frown as Pilot questioned her on the exact names of the ranks. She had only come across references to the exact names of Spartan government a few times, and finding books on ancient Greek society was difficult enough. In addition, the names were extremely foreign to her, for she had never encountered anything like it since. The language was not even modern - or had not been at the time when the humans fell. It was in ancient Greece, a time more than two thousand years ago. Tayui could not even comprehend the gap that lay between them and the Spartans, for such a number was one she had only read, impossible to experience. Even so, she was optimistic; the new ranking system would be a learning experience in itself, simply because she hoped it might interest one or two wolves to pursue readings on the people they had borrowed the names from. If even one wolf became interested, it was a success in itself, she believed. Although it seemed silly to look back on the humans so much, and with such undeniable reverence in some cases, they could certainly learn from their experiences and their mistakes.

She glanced at Pilot as she attempted to think back to the readings on ancient human systems of governing. "Hmm. Many of the names are difficult to remember; they’re like nothing I’ve ever encountered before. Some did not even have names. They had two kings, equal in rank, but I did not come across what they called these kings. Each was from a family that founded the city – the… Agiad and Eurypontis? Eurypintod? I’m unsure, but I salvaged the book from the fire, as well as my notes, so I should be able to read over it soon enough." She nodded cheerfully, her faith in the new idea restored. Hope was not lost, for the book had survived. She had only been able to take a few books, ones she had treasured the most, as well as the history of Bleeding Souls she had been writing. She would have much more to record now.

Again, she frowned in concentration as Pilot spoke, making a quiet ‘hmming’ sound every once in a while. She made eye contact with him, quirking her head to one side to let him know she was listening. It sounded like a fine plan, and dividing the ranks and co-ranks into loyalty and ability seemed far overdue. Although the past system had worked, she did not see why change should be avoided. In fact, this seemed like a far better idea, and it sounded like wolves might now be evaluated in different ways, for different reasons. "I think you’re right, it does sound like it would encourage members to try new ideas, new skills. It would be like… like the Athenian system, rival to the Spartans, but I can tell you about that later," she said with a small laugh, realizing she had lost track of what she had wanted to say. "I think it would work well with our new ranks. The ranks would be… political, I suppose, and the co-ranks based on talent." As an afterthought, she added, "A wonderful idea, as well! I think this will work nicely. You and I – leading this, that is." She smiled. There was nothing else to say that she could say. Working with Pilot would be different, but refreshing. It would be a comfort knowing she could count on him as a leader and a friend. This would work.

Table by Umbra!

[/html]

Messages In This Thread