[M] I want to believe
[html]

Word Count → 688 :: DERPY POST IS DERPY, also first paragraph can be skiiiiiippedddd

One might have thought that the sable-shaded woman's beliefs would clash with Larkspur's, or vice versa. The systems of belief were different enough -- in Eterne, such polytheism would have been an anomaly among the mostly monotheistic belief systems found within the city's sprawl. Even those who did not profess belief in the Atototzli were generally monotheistic. No such clash occurred within the chartreuse-eyed woman, however -- she had lost whatever fervor she once had for the Eternian beliefs. She could not remove it from herself completely, of course -- it formed such a keystone of her identity, to cut it out would have meant entirely rebuilding herself. Eris was neither motivated nor strong enough to complete this task, and so she had simply forgotten the parts of the Atototzli beliefs that had become dated and worn to her, keeping those that suited her. This was an adaptive system, of course, and so she could allow for these other gods -- her own Momoztli seemed a figment anymore anyway. He was either a fictitious element or another incarnation of one of these more powerful gods -- these ones that did not lurk in wait for their perfect bride.

The woman listened with the same curiosity as her children to Larkspur's tale, drawing the same easy symbolism without the pointed glances. The hybrid woman did not know that she wanted her children taking after gods, though she supposed this was something that could not be helped. The color of their pelts meant something to Larkspur and his kin, and Eris could believe that. Regardless of whether or not she believed it, she would respect it -- nothing could be said that would detract from his tale. This was easy enough, anyway -- the only night and day symbolism that existed within Eterne regarded the Momoztli and the Mamexi -- neither were beliefs she partook of anymore, easily discarded. As Larkspur finished speaking, Pandemic abruptly stood and headed for her side, appearing disturbed by the tale. The sable-shaded woman would not admonish the boy's father for this, but she wrapped her arm around Pan all the same, tucking him up and close to her body. Her free hand moved to scratch behind his ears and comfort him.

Wretch's question was met with a gentle smile, and the hybrid woman offered her own answer. “Where I lived, it wasn't considered right to give the name of a god away.” This was said quietly, and her yellow-green eyes shifted to Larkspur upon delivering the answer, her shoulders twitching in a minute shrug, attempting to communicate her lack of conviction regarding the idea. He would be free to correct her if he chose, of course. She did not fear correction much as she spoke again. “I don't have pretty stories like your daddy does,” the hybrid said. She had never memorized the Quauhtli and what few passages she could remember were not appropriate anyway. “When you're older, I'll know if any of you can do what I do. Blood and bones and organs, they speak to me. Tell me things -- the past, the future sometimes. If you can't understand the language naturally, you won't be able to learn,” the half-breed said. “But other things can speak to you, too -- rocks, shells, plants, all kinds of things. I won't be able to understand what they're saying, but I can help you understand.” It was a chance; they might lack these gifts entirely, but even then, there were things to help them.

“If you can't understand anything, though, there are still things you can do to hear the undercurrents of the world. We'll teach you about that when you're older, though,” the woman said. They were far too young to be exposed to mushrooms or anything stronger; their small bodies could not handle such things yet, and Eris would not be one to introduce it to them, though she had undoubtedly dosed them prior to realizing she was pregnant. She had yet to realize this, however, and she might never -- the exact timeline of pregnancy was not entirely clear to the woman.

<style>
#eris-spiralhell {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;
background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011f ... spiral.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; padding:0px 0px 181px 0px; }
#eris-spiralhell .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
#eris-spiralhell .divider {border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; margin:5px auto; width:100%;}
#eris-spiralhell .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
#eris-spiralhell p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
#eris-spiralhell b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread