A Hunt (Of Sorts)
Am I too much in my character's head? I could try and tone it down if it's making things difficult for you. :3

Moonglow took in a careful breath of his scent. He smelled healthy; of warm fur and a mottle of others, his pack mates most likely. Though his words were friendly she still took careful stock of his posture before deciding that, barring unusual circumstances, he was not hostile.

At his introduction and, surprising, apology, Moonglow eased her tail until it hung in an easy line behind her, lifted her head until it was a touch below his, an easy feat given his size and relaxed her ears. She strove to look at ease and, given that she had been alone for long months that most often felt like years or forever, the young wolf felt she did a fair job of it.

In her own way Moonglow starved for company, for someone she could share herself with and have them tell her it was okay. That hating her family for leaving her didn't make her a bad person and missing them so intently that it sometimes felt like she were bleeding out wasn't strange. She wanted at least a small portion of the connection she'd lost when her family was ripped apart so intently that her bones ached with it.

As much as she wanted it, however, Moonglow wasn't sure she'd ever trust anyone enough ever again. She'd knew her father had been sick and what happened wasn't really his fault but the puppy in her didn't understand that. Her parents had always seemed more than just wolves, they were like pillars of strength that held up the sky. She had loved and trusted them blindly because they were life as well as protection. A part of herself blamed them for everything. They should have been strong enough to protect them even from each other.

When Saul spoke again, interrupting her thoughts with talk of deer, Moonglow glanced up at him. She felt disgusting, like a layer of slime had seeped out of body to coat her fur. She was faintly surprised that he couldn't see it. If he could he wouldn't have wanted to be near her, let alone hunt with her. The young female felt nauseous at the thought of anyone seeing how twisted she was inside.

Thankfully she had truth to offer as to why she couldn't hunt with him. "I'm sorry, Theta, but I don't think I'm capable of hunting with you." Two strong wolves could bring down a deer together but with one and a half, she was certainly not at full strength, it would be far more difficult if not impossible.

"I am-" She paused trying to find a way to put this politely. "-not at my full strength from many days travel and scarce food. I would just slow you down." Moonglow offered as friendly an expression as she could manage. "Thank you for the offer but any hunt with a wolf in my state would likely end in failure."

Messages In This Thread