Why am I so different?
[html]

Word Count → 328

the sun will never shine on this cold dead heart of mine

Maki had been through a lot, she knew this -- the silver-shaded hybrid had listened to him whimper and toss in his sleep, and she wondered what nightmares chased him through his mind at night. Sometimes, she had wandered into the small alcove and lie down next to him, curling close until he quieted again. The coppery child crouched in the corner, his body strangely shaped. Her remaining yellow eye narrowed, and she took two more quick steps forward, throwing the fish carelessly on the rock shelf along the side wall of her cave.

He stumbled forward in the same instant, splaying forward on his ungainly long Optime legs. The coyote marveled at this, for a moment too struck by his shifting at his age to comprehend that he was upset beyond upset. Of all the children she had raised, none had begun turning form this early. And then she realized he was upset, his words caught her ears, and she was leaning down next to him and holding him, her silvery arms wrapped around his thin and impossibly small form. She squeezed and held Makhesthai, drawing him back and forth sever so slightly and stroking his Optime mane, still amazed by its very existence.

“Maki, Maki,” she crooned, her usually raspy and cold voice motherly and soothing. Caring for the young was her métier -- one could almost say it was a calling, if one that had occurred incredibly late in life -- and she had cradled children through the night"s darkness before. “No one can hurt you. No one is coming, and even if they were, I would protect you,” she said, trying to reassure the boy. She would shed blood to protect him, blood or not -- he was her charge, her son blood be damned. He carried her name and he would carry it always. Her fingers drew lightly along the boy's shaggy hair, and she nuzzled him, still holding him close.

<style>
.kae-thorntxt {font-family:'palatino linotype', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size: 14px; line-height:18px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/HIS1G.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px; margin:0px auto; width:500px; }
.kae-thorntxt .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:justify; border-bottom:1px solid #000000; margin:5px auto; padding:10px 0px; width:100%;}
.kae-thorntxt .tagline {font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:14px; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:center; padding:10px 0px; }
.kae-thorntxt .tagline .sub { font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; font-style:italic;}
.kae-thorntxt .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; font-style:normal;}
.kae-thorntxt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:0px 15px;}
.kae-thorntxt b { letter-spacing:-.05em;}
.kae-thorntxt u {text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; font-style:italic; font-variantConfusedmall-caps;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread