horses
Okay first off I am sick and tired of the wolves are predators argument. Humans are predators too people. You city slickers may not realize this but to wild, unhumanized horses humans would be more of a omgwtfisthat to a horse than a wolf would be to. Not to mention that a horse probably doesn't fall under too much predation in the wild. They are herd animals for one. Deer and elk are too, but typically smaller herds and its easier to find one separated from the herd. Horses can bite and do. Elk, deer, bovine do not bite, they can't as they only have lower teeth in the front of their mouths making their bite rather ineffective (hence you see more antlers and horns in those species). Most attacks seen on horses are cougars and bears. Horses would be a last resort prey imo. Basically yes, if a wolf attempted to approached a wild horse yes it would run away, as it would with a human. Just seeing one though it would be alert and avoid but not necessarly vacate the area just because they saw a wolf or they would spend all day running. But the fact that we are rping wolves and not humans is not quite the large factor you people seem to think it is. It all comes down to what the horse is acclimated to.

In fact studies have proven that healthy wolves stick to their natural prey animals and typically its loners and injuries/disadvantaged wolves that end up going after livestock. Horses are an introduced species to this continent there for not really in the spectrum for a typical wolf meal.

Now as far as taming a wild horse, if you interested in that for your character you need to read up on wild mustang adoption and what people have to go through there. Many people will have these horses for years and may never be able to get their hands on them. What it would come down to is you would have to teach the horse that running away, its natural response, will NOT get rid of you. This can be achieved by using a round pen and running the horse round and round. Typically when spooked a horse will run for, I think, a quarter mile before it stops to see if its still being chased. (i learned this at a horse training seminar) so the strategy is to basically run the horse until it gives up and faces you. I've seen it done and I've used the method though these were not wild horses just more skittish and unbroken. This process would have to be repeated daily for weeks. It takes approx. 90 days of near daily riding to brake a horse past what I consider the green stage. In my book, a green broke horse means it need an experienced and capable rider, not for novices. That not even including time to tame a wild horse.

Vyx: leading a green horse with someone its back or even the first time with a saddle is dangerous! Many horses will jump or hop the first few steps and crush whoever is leading them :l

Best bet for getting a horse in souls would be to get one from Aniwaya or CdM since they have breeding population of horses already accustomed to luperci. I would assume that foals born in those packs are imprinted close to birth. Imprinting is the concept of like the chick that thinks the first animal it sees is its mother.

For catching a wild horse most likely it would be a very very long and drawn put process of using a horses natural curiosity to make it come and check you out rather than chasing it down, covering it, choking it down and dragging it to where you intend to keep it. Halter breaking a full grown, wild horse would be Omg hard.

I broke horse for a few years and have been around them all my life, been riding since I can remember, age 4 I think?

Messages In This Thread