horses
QUOTE (Layla @ Mar 30 2011, 01:54 PM)
We used a different method that works on all livestock (sheep and cattle mainly) and I've even used it to get close to a steer. I didn't have to chase him, he only took two steps back. He didn't charge either. Basically, what is a major difference between hunters and prey? Most prey have eyes on the side of their head and hunters in the front. The trick we used was to never actually look at the animal, instead relying on side vision (cant think of how to spell the word atm) and walk softly, yet not toward the animal, but side ways. Seem alert, as he/she is, for potential danger. Works every time.

[/quote]
*gives Vyx a brownie* I soo meant to mention that too. It also help to turn your back to them or look away while trying to break them to lead as well.

Yea I didn't have time to get into age. Yearling is a good cut off age for taming imo, if SA felt such a rule was necessary. Although depending on the personality I think you could almost go til four. It seems like most my horses have come out of what I consider adolescent age at around four. 3 yrs is like the terrible twos in the horse world. In my experience anyways. It the age where you are far enough along in training that they really start to see what they can get away with.

Messages In This Thread