gemini
[html]
mall-caps;text-variantConfusedmall-caps;">IT'S ONLY cript;">FOREVER, NOT LONG AT ALL

Her toes curled slightly as she thought, trying to remind herself that she would always be his sister. While others would come and go, she would remain firm and dedicated by his side, bound to him with more than simple ties of blood. But was that really truth? Would their lives really be so close? She couldn't make herself believe it would be, even if it was something she wanted. Lately, in her adult life, nothing seemed to go the way she desired it to, and she expected Ezekiel would be no different.

She glanced toward him as he sat beside her, crimson eyes studying him for a moment — just a moment — to search for something that was missing. Sure, there were things that identified them as family. He had the same golden eyes as their father, the same coyote facade that she coveted, the same stripe upon his muzzle, the same reddened tones. She could see their similarities, but what she always noticed first were their differences. He was golden, sun-kissed, blonde, and she? She was dark, an autumn shade accented with charcoal seen in her father. She carried the colors of their mother, and the colors of their uncle, and it left her to wonder if that was why she suffered the same ruinous defects her father had seen in her the night of their argument. She looked like their mother, and therefore, she would become her. It seemed logical, but did nothing to raise the spirits of the already dejected de le Poer.

His arm found its way around her shoulders, still bearing the bony protrusion of unhealthiness even as she gained weight. As his fingers tugged at auburn tendrils of hair, she allowed her head to rest against him. Silence stayed close as she listened. The words were what she wanted to hear, but even though he spoke them, she found herself with a difficulty to believe them. All except the painting. It was beautiful. She knew he would never be an artist, not with the path he'd taken, but she felt proud that he appreciated what talent she had. One delicate hand reached out to touch the faintly wrong peaks of the mountains as her mind gathered something to say to him. She had to have a response, she always did. Air filled her lungs, and was expelled in a sigh that caused her shoulders to lower slightly.

"You love me now, but things are different. And who knows when they'll change again?" One leg was drawn up to her chest, hooked close by a frail arm. "How long did we go without each other? And look how much we've changed since then, Ezekiel. Do you really think you'll love me still in the future? I would think you'd find someone else, to take my place. And when you have a mate and children and a family here, there will be no room for me. I won't want to be here. But would you let me leave?" It was an honest train of thought, and an honest question. He had chased her across the wilds, and now he had the power to keep her inside of Inferni's borders for the rest of her adult life. When he moved on, to better things and better people, would he let her leave? She had no doubts he wouldn't, no doubts he would find a woman as Gabriel had found women in the past.

She shook her head and pushed her hair back, away from her face and over her shoulder. "I don't think I'm smarter than you. I can't read, or write like everyone else, just these silly things that remind me what it was I'd been thinking about. You're much smarter. Much, much smarter. But I think that's why I love you so much." One paint-stained fingertip rose to rub at the corner of her eye. "Because you make up the parts of me that I don't have. Maybe that's silly. A lot of things I think about are silly these days." Light, gentle-toned laughter escaped her jaws as the sentence came to a close.

<style>
.ns01 {margin:0px auto;width:450px;background-color:none;background-image:none;background-position:top middle;background-repeat:no-repeat;border:none;padding:0px;font-family:times new roman, sans-serif;font-size:13px;line-height:16px;letter-spacing:.5px;text-align:justify;margin-top:15px;}
.ns01-ooc {font-style:italic;font-size:11px;margin:2px; padding:0px;text-align:left;}
.ns01 p {text-indent:25px;margin:0px;padding:5px 10px;}
.ns01 b {font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1px;}
.ns01 i {font-style:italic;letter-spacing:1px;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread