You can't survive on just crabapples
423. Yahoo! And Tayui thinks too much :<

She recoiled in response to his words, unsure why, but distinctly disliking that he spoke both French and English. If he spoke those two languages, which were certainly more common than whatever he’d first spoken, why not try those first? She didn’t understand the motivation to holler at strangers in uncommon languages, so she was immediately set on edge. She didn’t like having unsolvable puzzles: she liked questions, while complicated, had an answer. If she could just give a question enough thought, certainly she should be able to rationalize it.

Either way, that was far too much thought for a simple meeting. Though, that being said, Tayui was immediately a little more skittish than usual. Combined with his unfamiliar French accent, Tayui figured it would be easier to speak English. From what she’d heard, he spoke a very different French than she. It was almost as if he over pronounced and stressed the French accent too much, if that was even possible. Either way, soon enough, he was speaking English despite his offer for her to choose the language. While she’d been mulling all of this over, he had pulled off a rather worn-looking back and plopped it to the ground next to him. Tayui followed the action with her eyes, but quickly brought her gaze back to the wolf as he began to speak.

His posture indicated relaxation, but his words were short and his demeanour was strange. He called her stranger, and while not impolite, it struck her as odd. She tilted her head slightly as she considered his phrasing: he needed to know more about the area. He was decidedly direct when he spoke, though Tayui would have probably used a conditional tense for the question, asking something akin to, “I would like to know more” rather than “I needed to know more.” She pondered this and his question for a few moments before deciding to reply. Normally she was more benevolent with information, but in age, she had become shrewd and she could tell this wolf had something to trade.

“I know quite a bit of these parts – their history, current politics if you might, and packs. If you’ve something to offer, I’d be happy to trade if your offer pleases me.” While she could not subtly threaten him like he did she, since he had asked her for help, she was not the one obliged to stay. This meant he needed her and would likely have something, no matter how meagre or inconsequential to offer her in return.

Messages In This Thread