You can't survive on just crabapples
WC: 446

Tayui was surprised to see that this wolf could write. Somehow, she would have never thought a warrior would be able to have such academic talents. She realized that slowly, literacy was becoming more common among the luperci. When she had been young and still lived in Jaded Shadows, it was been a rare and curious skill. Now, it seemed as though as time went on, the luperci realized they could learn from the humans in some ways. She watched as the warrior scribbled down key facts about each pack. For a moment, Tayui wondered if he possessed any cartographic skills as well: if he could sketch out a rough outline of ‘Souls, or as the humans had called it, Nova Scotia, then perhaps she could try to estimate where the packs were in relation to one another. She considered suggesting it, but didn’t think he had enough paper to draw something of that detail, so she tucked the question away, perhaps to re-use as a future endeavour.

Once he finished writing down the details of the packs, he questioned her about Anathema. Now, she realized he had looked a lot more relaxed when she had spoken of the packs, but that tension returned to his shoulders and his arms. When she had first spoken, his grip had looked very tight as he clasped his biceps. Again, he made a similar gesture. Did he dislike the mountain pack? It seemed as though some of their nastier habits had already begun to spread rumours.

“I don’t really know,” she admitted. “I know Naniko, the leader, had been cast out of her previous pack on suspicion of poisoning. I know that many practice Voodoo and forms of fake witchcraft. They’ve also a number of rituals and ceremonies that aren’t for the faint of heart. There are a number of hybrids and coyotes from a southern pack that practice many different customs, some of which may seem sadistic. I don’t know much about them, though. I’ve not spoken much with them, but I do know they don’t follow any pretences of being a kind or open pack. It’s very different from the others.” That was why she had joined it and that was why she found it so difficult to remain. Yes, she felt she shouldn’t have to hide who she was, and she really did think Naniko was an interesting character. They weren’t an evil pack per say, but Tayui didn’t feel any loyalty or tug to them as she had when she had been a member of Jaded Shadows, Shadowed Sun, or AniWaya. She just felt empty. Maybe she really did need that pretence to feel safe.

Messages In This Thread