You can't survive on just crabapples
It's all good! WC: 363

His body language spoke volumes to Tayui. While he did not seem to be very aggressive, it was as if he was holding a great deal of tension inside of himself. However, when he spoke again, Tayui was the one who tensed up. Of course he had noticed and of course she had been a fool for thinking otherwise. She had only been a member of Anathema for a short time and still probably had the scent of the south, maybe even AniWaya, lingering on her fur. The smells of her journey were evident, as he mentioned, as well as her membership in Anathema now, and her loitering near Inferni. She knew it was bound to catch up to her again after Hybrid had found her near the borders. He hadn’t been as kind as Kesho had, even if Kesho had been a bit put off by the end of their conversation.

She was at a loss for an explanation until he suggested a messenger. Yes, that would make the most sense and it was the easiest lie to use. She took this idea and rolled it around in her head: perhaps she could feasibly see herself as a messenger. If she could convince herself that she was one, then the lie would be easier for her. If she believed it in some form, it would become true; at least in her mind.

“Somewhat” she replied demurely. A half-truth with half-admission almost made it true. She was a messenger, but she only answered to herself. “I’m a scholar,” she explained, drawing inspiration from past truths. “This means I have to travel sometimes. I have interests in many areas, too, so this can take me far from my pack. Since no history has been written down since the fall of humans and since books are hard to come by, this means I have to glean my history from conversations with others around here.” She hoped that her explanation would ease her anxiety and even help Drizzt trust her more. It was a good way of explaining how she knew all this information about these packs, since she was in the business of knowing things.

Messages In This Thread