You can't survive on just crabapples
“Well,” she began, as he spoke, almost speaking over him before pausing. “I don’t know,” she replied. “It could be anyone,” she continued, and then added: “but they will certainly deserve it, so maybe that will make it easier for you? You seem to have a conscience. I trust that with that conscience, you may rest easier knowing that you kill a villain and not an innocent.” She couldn’t help but think how little her answer provided. She didn’t know who she wanted dead; just that she did want someone to pay, sometime, for a crime they committed. For crimes that Haku had committed. She wanted to do her part to make herself whole again because she felt like she was deteriorating so quickly. She needed to make something of herself.

“I’m sorry I can’t tell you more. Once I know more, I’ll be sure to contact you, Drizzt.” She wasn’t sure if she should give him her name. Now, that precaution seemed silly and pretentious in her head, like a feeble attempt to hide herself when she was standing here, unguarded, with her scent thick on the wind. He would no doubt remember her and she was easy enough to spot – a wolf, with bi-coloured eyes, a faint skunk stripe of fur, and the smell of disloyalty. But then, maybe there were others like her.

She tried to meet his questioning gaze, but the more she looked, the more she questioned herself.

“Would it be a fairer trade if it was not only you to kill them?” she asked suddenly. She had no expertise, but she was willing.

Messages In This Thread