bloodsport
[html]
+3

While it was assumed by a great many number of people, Larkspur was far from stupid. He was simple in his ways, and his mind had been stunted by lack of socialization. This did not eliminate the wolfish adroit that came from his instincts. Never destined to read or write or learn from the dead, Larkspur had picked up his information from others—through observation and through careful listening. Perhaps he would never be considered clever, but that did not mean he was slow; far from it.

An intelligence—a savage, feral intelligence—glimmered in his flame colored eyes as the lanky wolf (the brawny man could not bear to think of him as a coyote) spoke from his side. Sirius had done some sort of magic to earn his place as leader, bringing with him Eris, the coyote-woman and her family, and even finding strangers to join him without question. Now, as he stared back at eyes not quite as feral as his own, Larkspur saw the shadow of potential in this man. The truth of the matter would come forth soon enough.

“No,” he said with little hesitation. “I do not think I would fit in your rank. I am not clever like you, Sirius,” the use of the name lacked proper formality, and implied they were yet strangers. “Yet I do not doubt I could kill you. Yer clever, but yer not strong—a good leader is both.” Off-white teeth, having cut through many an enemy in the service of a now-dead king, revealed themselves in a smile-snarl. “Yer not savage enough for this land. Talk as nice as y’want, but this place ain’t meant for talk. If yer not strong, yer liable to end up like that sheep.” There was the faintest warning in that phrase. Larkspur had no desire to usurp Sirius, but he had been present when Haku’s own people had turned on him. He did not doubt it could happen again.

<style type="text/css">
.larkspur {width:400px; background-image:url('http://www.ghostecho.net/souls/larkspur.png'); background-position:bottom center; background-color:#BDAC9A; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid black;}
.larkspur2 {padding:10px 10px 165px 10px; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#fff; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;}
.larkspur b {color:#EACDB3;}
.larkspur p {text-indent:39px; margin:0px;}
.larkspur3 {background:#352A1E;padding:5px; filter:alpha(opacity=50); -moz-opacity:0.5; -khtml-opacity: 0.5; opacity: 0.5; border:1px solid black;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread