mourning in the warning.
Gonna detail backstory a little... if there's anything you don't like, let me know, I will change :3. Also, I actually bothered to look up the archaic grammar, so his speech should be a little closer to right now XD.

[html]
It had been during the harshest part of the Appalachian winter when the Outsider had floundered into the Holt community, nearly starved and frozen. She had been immediately taken in, of course, and Jeremiah remembered much whispered conversation as to whether they would allow her to stay for a night, or simply feed her and send her on her way. She gave them pause, for she was as little like them as the dogs could imagine; wild, half-wolf and half-coyote, not gentle-bred like the Shepherds. To further complicate things she'd had in her company a large, golden mottled cat, the likes of which the Holts had never seen, and they worried she'd tamed it with witchcraft.

The dark stranger had been genial enough, though, and seemed non-threatening enough, and so they had ultimately let her stay. Jeremiah had been a very young six months at the time -- he didn't remember which Holt family Eris had ended up staying with, only that she'd taken her dinner in the meeting house with the rest of the village. Afterwards she had sat near the fire, her exotic cat curled at the side of her chair, and at the insistence of several young Shepherds, Jeremiah included, she began to tell her stories. As the other pups became tired and one by one went to their homes, Jeremiah stayed the latest of the all, enraptured by Eris, asking her question after question when there were appropriate places to do so.

He'd finally fallen asleep there by the hybrid and the fire, and when he'd awakened at dawn, the Outsider and her cat were already gone. He'd gone outside in the mountainous snow and stared north for a while, trying to imagine the destination which Eris sought. He eventually had to get back to his chores, but he'd never forgotten the sooty female, and when his family shunned him, she was whom he'd followed, because he'd really always wanted to anyway.

Jeremiah felt some relief when Eris smiled back at him, though there'd been little doubt that she would receive him graciously, considering the hospitality the Holts had shown her. He nodded at her words. I thank thee for thy sympathies, Eris. Thou shan't be expected to remember me specifically, he said. I was but a young pup when thee traveled'st through. I remember thee, though, and thy stories. A smile quirked his black lips. And thy strange cat. Doth he still survive?
[/html]

Messages In This Thread